To crop or not...

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #157229 by LauraD

I am trying to decide which version is better....any suggestions ?

or

I am a serious hobbyist and I am constantly trying to challenge myself with new and interesting shots. My photography can also be viewed here:
lauradphotography.zenfolio.com/
laura-daddona.artistwebsites.com/
LauraD.imagekind.com

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #157240 by Joiemagic
Hey Laura,

I personally like the cropped one on top... The partial evergreen tree on the left is a little distracting to me... If it were a full tree, it may not be as distracting... but overall, they are both good shots... :judge:

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

The following user(s) said Thank You: LauraD
12 years 6 months ago #157243 by ADMerrick
I like the second as well. The first seems a little "flat" if that makes any sense.

12 years 6 months ago #157245 by chasrich
Both are good shots. The first one has a little more interest to me but not much more than number two.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #157308 by LauraD
Thank you, I think I am going with the cropped one too.I appreciate the help ~

I am a serious hobbyist and I am constantly trying to challenge myself with new and interesting shots. My photography can also be viewed here:
LauraD.imagekind.com

12 years 6 months ago #157316 by KCook
The original (lower pic) has a better sense of "space" to me. For the crop version I would move the center further right, eliminating the red barn on the left. And slightly lower, so as not to cut off the "feet" of the fence.

Picky

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago #157333 by Robynaudrey
I like them both, but prefer the cropped shot. I would try a closer crop to eliminate the barn on the left and also see what it looked like without any sky - with the scrub as the background. I also love the feel of the fence. :thumbsup:

12 years 6 months ago #157356 by Stealthy Ninja
Crop is slightly better, but the crop you chose feels like the top of the mountain is cut off and (IMHO) there should be a little more foreground.
12 years 6 months ago #157368 by butterflygirl921
I like the cropped one a little better but the uncropped one is really good too.

12 years 6 months ago #157451 by Camp 89
I like the uncropped. It appears to be more of a landscape photo and gives more to the story.

12 years 6 months ago #157480 by VT Hiker

Robynaudrey wrote: I would try a closer crop to eliminate the barn on the left and also see what it looked like without any sky - with the scrub as the background.

Lopping off all of that, I sure hope the original is very high resolution.

I prefer the uncropped. If I were to crop it, I would just barely take out the pine and a bit of the sky because it's weak space.

Also not sure if I am the only one seeing it, but it appears oversaturated.

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 6 months ago #157509 by Baydream

Camp 89 wrote: I like the uncropped. It appears to be more of a landscape photo and gives more to the story.

:agree: And the uncropped version is a bit more "dynamic"

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #157541 by LauraD
Thank you, everyone for your suggestions .... There are definately things I like about both and I may try a couple more cropped versions. I was just not sure if some of those other ideas would make for unusual print sizes. I was a bit unpleased with the bland sky ...unfortunately the weather was rainy and bland ... so I thought about maybe trying to crop it out all together...though that might create an unusual print size. Next time I get a chance to travel back up there, which is every1 or 2 years, I will try for a better shot to start with and hopefully better weather ...your comments and suggestions have been very helpful :)

LauraD.imagekind.com

12 years 6 months ago #157597 by VT Hiker

LauraD wrote: I was a bit unpleased with the bland sky ...unfortunately the weather was rainy and bland ... so I thought about maybe trying to crop it out all together...though that might create an unusual print size.

Drop in a new sky. No one will be the wiser. :whistle:

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 6 months ago #157626 by Joiemagic

VT Hiker wrote: Drop in a new sky. No one will be the wiser. :whistle:

I literally just took some great "Strictly" Cloud shots that I can send to you and you can use...

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024