Pet photo - Any feedback?

12 years 3 months ago #193274 by Kevin T. Cary
Hi,

I am starting some Pet Photography and I'd like to know if I'm on the right track, what I could change, do better, etc. This concerns everything, from WB, to composition, to post-processing...
Feel free to give me your opinion. :)
Thanks!

Self-taught photographer wannabe.
Attachments:
12 years 3 months ago #193296 by Alex
I like the shot, now I might be wrong but the focus looks to be on the blanket rather than the cats face/eyes? I would personally like to see more sharpness in the face/eyes. :thumbsup:

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin T. Cary
12 years 3 months ago #193305 by McBeth Photography
I agree with Alex about the focus. I have one other thought, custom white balance might be a good idea for pet owners that expect their pet's portrait to look exactly like their pet.

I'm sure there is money in pet photography though, pets are a valued part of the family.

It is what it is.
12 years 3 months ago #193373 by Kevin T. Cary
Firstly, thanks for your feedback!
Now, about sharpness and focus, the thing is that I am using a rather old camera (EOS 350D :( ) and a Sigma 50 f/1.4. I did focus on the eyes, but it seems indeed that the focus isn't quite there (front focusing?). Also, I shot at f/1.4, and even though it's a prime lens, I guess the sharpness isn't that great wide open... Do you guys think these might be the reasons?

12 years 3 months ago #193380 by john_m
Yes....Try shooting again at say f4 and you will see how sharp that lens can actually shoot.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 3 months ago #193506 by Kevin T. Cary
Yes, but in that low light situation and with the very limited ISO performances of my camera, I sort of need these wide apertures. Even more because I selected this fast lens for that purpose. :/

12 years 3 months ago #193527 by Dori
It does look like your lens is slightly front focusing. I like how the kitten is posed but find the pattern/color on the blanked a bit distracting. :judge: :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 3 months ago #193552 by mj~shutterbugg
:agree: I love the pose and look of the kitten, but find the blanket pattern distracting. I also have to agree with the softness around the eyes. Do you have a speedlight? On that bounces? That could solve the issue of low light, that or try manual focus- take the power away from the lens and put your eye in command.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 3 months ago #193562 by icepics
I think too that something looks a little off with the focus and/or depth. I notice the one paw (that isn't as far forward) is much more soft or out of focus, and it's not really that far in distance from the kitten's face. Some of the blanket in front of the kitty is in focus more than what's behind the kitten's head. You nailed the 'pose', that would be a sweet photo for a pet owner or cat lover.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193670 by Kevin T. Cary
Thank you guys so much for your valuable feedback! I'll definitely consider focusing manually, to some extent, in the future. Also a smaller aperture could have done the job in this case.
Next time I'll probably choose a different blanket. :D I initially found that the colors would match well with the rest, now I realize indeed that it is a little distracting to the eye.

12 years 3 months ago #193674 by Ogy55
I think the white balance is off, the cat seems too far away and the focus is not on the cat (which from the replies above you already knew that)

12 years 3 months ago #193691 by RogerS
For something like this, if you don't have an external flash, jack your ISO, and close the aperture as much as possible. Also, get closer and concentrate on the eyes rather than the overall scene, which could use a little trimming anyway. A tripod is great, if you have time to use one, which is usually not the case. I love the pose, but there is too much background to really concentrate.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024