Was at the train yard again today

12 years 1 month ago #213809 by John37
I was awakened this morning by a big train whistle. I looked out my window to see this fantastically beautfil steam locomotive. I woke up the boys and we drove the nearby train station to have a look. I like the outcome... how about on your end?

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #213812 by John37
Here's a couple more.

Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago #213825 by KCook
The extra tall driving wheels give extra speed. This engine was designed for passenger trains.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 month ago #213832 by John Landolfi
! and 3, especially 1, work for me :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #213838 by mattmoran
Wow. Those are gorgeous. The first one is a very classic look. The third really gives you a sense of scale.

-Matt
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #213896 by Shadowfixer1
Perfect treatment on number 1 except for the selective color. I'm not a fan of that and it's a personal taste. Otherwise it's a beautiful image. One of the best I've seen here if it were all sepia. Good job!!
12 years 1 month ago #213901 by H.Priyanka
Nice train with nice shots....................

©PH-otography
12 years 1 month ago #213907 by John37
Thanks for the feedback. It's really nice living here. One day it's a steam train, the next might have a classis car show or hot rod show just steps from my back yard. Lots of ops for photos.

Saddly, the treatment to number one is a LR3 preset. Although I know it works well, it's not something I labored over. There's no selective coloring. The preset left those colors behind, I guess. I shot the photo keeping something in mind someone here told me, which was to leave some track in front of the train to give it direction. But I didn't get the feel I wanted. I'm pleased with the final crop. There are many others I'm processing that show the steam coming out. I'll post as I can.
Thanks again!:thumbsup:

12 years 1 month ago #213913 by Chansky
Wow, really nice!

12 years 1 month ago #213941 by Baydream
Well done. Keep them coming.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #213951 by rmeyer7
I love #1, but I would probably desaturate it the rest of the way since LR's preset left a bit of color in it. I think either B&W or full sepia would work well with this shot.

12 years 1 month ago #214066 by John37
Okay... so I'm debating whether or not to desaturate the 1st one. If anything I might desaturate the red color near the engineer. But the American flags are just slightly colored, and I'm diggin' it. But here's another that's all sepia. Filling the frame was my intention here.

Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago #214067 by john_m
John, 1 and 3 are fantastic shots! I'm on the fence about the sephia after seeing the original edits. Fantastic job!

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 3 weeks ago #217213 by San84
Great shots!!....1 is really good...though I thought it has a tad bit more vignetting, but definitely gives a classy feel....3 gives idea of the sheer size of it!!! :)

Men invented language to satisfy their deep urge of complaining...
12 years 3 weeks ago #217217 by Joiemagic
Like em all... got a real facination for trains of late, especially steam engines. Love the third one the best. Great detail John.

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024