An honest opinion please

12 years 2 days ago #224196 by @kg
This is a shot of a window from my room. I have got mixed reviews for this on fb : few people liked it while others commented that its a bad photo. Now I am little confused. I will like to have some honest opinion from photography point of view.
I will tell u my reason for taking this shot...I liked the light through the window in otherwise dark room.

Attachments:
12 years 2 days ago #224201 by Darrell
Typical of all types of art, some people get it and some people don't. I do like the soft light but it seems like it is missing something, In my opinion if a person was standing to the right and this light was hitting them it would look pretty cool. But I didn't take the picture, you did, and if you like it GREAT !!

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 days ago #224207 by ADMerrick
:agree: The lighting is beautiful. I personally would have wanted a subject but it could be that you intended for the light to be the subject. The important thing is whether you like it. It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.:thumbsup:

12 years 2 days ago #224217 by @kg
I agree wid u on this ....It would have definitely made a much better pic if it had a person on the right...thanks for the comment

12 years 2 days ago - 12 years 2 days ago #224218 by @kg
But its also true that my main focus was on the light....I was experimenting with light....and as ADMerrick got me ... I was fascinated by light and wanted it to be my subject...

12 years 2 days ago #224225 by Designer
Let's fiddle with it some. Try cropping the shot fairly close to the window's left side, and leave some wall to the right about equal to the size of the window, and crop the bottom to match the top margin, and see wat it looks like.

12 years 2 days ago #224240 by John37
I really like the attempt, and I applaude the effort. But to me it seems to be an under-exposed shot that's missing a subject. Your intent was clear, but not until after you explained it. But I could be one of those people that just don't get it. :whistle:

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
12 years 2 days ago #224247 by john_m

Darrell wrote: Typical of all types of art, some people get it and some people don't. I do like the soft light but it seems like it is missing something, In my opinion if a person was standing to the right and this light was hitting them it would look pretty cool. But I didn't take the picture, you did, and if you like it GREAT !!

:goodpost: :agree:

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 2 days ago #224249 by KCook
I'd say presentation is also a major factor. This would be a lot more impressive as a large picture hanging on a wall, than these tiny images jammed into a computer monitor. Nice landscapes can have the same problem.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 2 days ago #224259 by @kg
Ok I have made some modification as suggested by Designer... However in my point of view it takes away the effect of "soft light in dark room" which was my intent...
What do u ppl think? Is the cropped one better than original?

Attachments:
12 years 2 days ago - 12 years 2 days ago #224268 by icepics
I agree with Darrell, I kind of like it but it seems to need something. Good point too from Kelly.

It might be better with the light falling on something in the room, that might make for a better composition. But of course that will totally change your photo. I don't care for the crop, but I'd think about reshooting and try a slightly different angle and see what you can get.

Sometimes I get a photo that isn't quite what I want but if I try again I may figure it out - sometimes taking a step or two one way or the other can give you a totally different perspective in your photo (or even shooting from a lower angle etc.).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 days ago #224298 by @kg
hmmm... got ur point....will try for some other angle... thanks :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024