King Tut Exhibit - Constructive Criticism wanted

11 years 7 months ago #249694 by internetchick
A bit of background since I am new here; I have had point and shoots most of my life. I only got a DSLR about a year ago, and have been learning on my own since then (I am going to take courses so I can do this professionally, as I enjoy the hell out of it.). I am reading the other forums for photo taking tips, and was looking for any input on composition, any edits you would make, maybe a different angle you would take, creative cropping suggestions, etc. I have a fairly thick skin, so really whatever input you have I do want to hear it. They did not allow flashes, tripods, or monopods. I had to hand hold and hope for the best in the dim lighting they had. I used my 50mm f/1.8 II, since my kit lens sucks in low light situations. I don't have a lot of lenses since I am starting out. If you would have used another please say which one.

11 years 7 months ago #249709 by KCook
Angles, exposures, and framing are all quite good. :thumbsup: Given the restrictions, about all you are left to control is the tone in post processing. Which are difficult to describe, just keep playing with the tones.

no help Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: internetchick
11 years 7 months ago #249714 by John Landolfi
They seem quite good to me- a difficult subject to do more with than record. And the lighting is always tricky: you did a very good job with Tut's head, with its strong reflections. (I'll be in Seattle in a couple of weeks, and I hope the exhibit will still be on- I'd like to try, too). Are you using a tripod? Are you shooting in RAW? That makes the kind of adjustments Kelly suggests much easier. Keep shooting!:cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #249734 by Darrell
You did great with these, hard to make suggestions with so many restrictions. Shooting raw would give more editing options. :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 7 months ago #249750 by internetchick

John Landolfi wrote: They seem quite good to me- a difficult subject to do more with than record. And the lighting is always tricky: you did a very good job with Tut's head, with its strong reflections. (I'll be in Seattle in a couple of weeks, and I hope the exhibit will still be on- I'd like to try, too). Are you using a tripod? Are you shooting in RAW? That makes the kind of adjustments Kelly suggests much easier. Keep shooting!:cheers:

Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Yes, I am shooting in RAW, and no I did not use a tripod. You are not allowed to use them in the exhibit.

The exhibit will still be on in Seattle when you arrive. I believe it stops some time in January. I hope you get some good shots! This is the last exhibit they will be doing in the US. Also, that is not Tut's head, but I don't have his name at the moment. I do have a pic of Tut somewhere in my photos. I took a lot, and will get through the rest today.

11 years 7 months ago #249766 by John Landolfi

internetchick wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: They seem quite good to me- a difficult subject to do more with than record. And the lighting is always tricky: you did a very good job with Tut's head, with its strong reflections. (I'll be in Seattle in a couple of weeks, and I hope the exhibit will still be on- I'd like to try, too). Are you using a tripod? Are you shooting in RAW? That makes the kind of adjustments Kelly suggests much easier. Keep shooting!:cheers:

Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Yes, I am shooting in RAW, and no I did not use a tripod. You are not allowed to use them in the exhibit.

The exhibit will still be on in Seattle when you arrive. I believe it stops some time in January. I hope you get some good shots! This is the last exhibit they will be doing in the US. Also, that is not Tut's head, but I don't have his name at the moment. I do have a pic of Tut somewhere in my photos. I took a lot, and will get through the rest today.

Excellent hand-holding, then!:thumbsup:

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #249771 by icepics
You seemed to do well composing your photos and using the existing light which was probably tricky. The more close-up photos are nice, you seem to keep all of the subject in the frame without cutting it off. You might want to notice your backgrounds when you're framing shots, sometimes just a step or two one direction or another can give you a different vantage point and a quite different picture.

With this type of setting it's probably not going to be possible to always work around signs etc. but in the one of the bust of a statue I notice part of a shadowy face in the background - that photo might have been interesting framed so the little sign at the bottom wasn't in the picture and the face was showing behind it. Or you could have framed it in closer to get the statue w/out the sign. You could maybe look at your photos to get ideas of other ways you could frame shots.

You don't necessarily need a tripod, I haven't ever used one. Photographers use them for portraits, landscapes, long exposures - anytime they need to set up the camera for a length of time. I think you just need to figure out what works for you, what camera settings you can manage. I do OK with 1/60 shutter speed and if I prop against something maybe 1/30, if that isn't giving me enough light then probably there wouldn't be enough without using a flash or setting up for a longer exposure - and in some circumstances where neither one is an option that just tells me I've reached the limits of my camera with the existing light.

You got some nice photos of your visit to the exhibit.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #249846 by chasrich
I like em all... A flash diffuser might have been a big help. These are quite nice on the lighting though. :judge: :judge: :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 7 months ago #249850 by internetchick

icepics wrote: You seemed to do well composing your photos and using the existing light which was probably tricky. The more close-up photos are nice, you seem to keep all of the subject in the frame without cutting it off. You might want to notice your backgrounds when you're framing shots, sometimes just a step or two one direction or another can give you a different vantage point and a quite different picture.

With this type of setting it's probably not going to be possible to always work around signs etc. but in the one of the bust of a statue I notice part of a shadowy face in the background - that photo might have been interesting framed so the little sign at the bottom wasn't in the picture and the face was showing behind it. Or you could have framed it in closer to get the statue w/out the sign. You could maybe look at your photos to get ideas of other ways you could frame shots.

You don't necessarily need a tripod, I haven't ever used one. Photographers use them for portraits, landscapes, long exposures - anytime they need to set up the camera for a length of time. I think you just need to figure out what works for you, what camera settings you can manage. I do OK with 1/60 shutter speed and if I prop against something maybe 1/30, if that isn't giving me enough light then probably there wouldn't be enough without using a flash or setting up for a longer exposure - and in some circumstances where neither one is an option that just tells me I've reached the limits of my camera with the existing light.

You got some nice photos of your visit to the exhibit.

Space was quite limited, as well as trying to avoid getting people in the shot. I can't tell you how many times I had everything framed and someone would step in with their phone to get a picture. :nunu: And that does sound nice like that with the face in the background. I would have had to move quite a ways back, and there wasn't room enough to do so. I would like to go again, maybe first thing in the morning to avoid so many people.

And thanks again everyone for the input.

11 years 7 months ago #249863 by Stealthy Ninja
They're all good. The lighting there was obviously designed to give a dramatic feel (I love it when someone else does the lighting for me ;) ) which helps a lot. #4 is by far my fave. Nice framing. Number 2 is like a product shot, very nice, BUT the focus point should be on the face not the leg.

Apart from that, very good!
11 years 7 months ago #249918 by internetchick

Stealthy Ninja wrote: They're all good. The lighting there was obviously designed to give a dramatic feel (I love it when someone else does the lighting for me ;) ) which helps a lot. #4 is by far my fave. Nice framing. Number 2 is like a product shot, very nice, BUT the focus point should be on the face not the leg.

Apart from that, very good!

Poop. You're right. I didn't notice that before.

11 years 7 months ago #250405 by Joiemagic
Nicely done under the conditions you were shooting under... Composition on all are great. I like #4 the best as well. Would like to see #1 a little lighter, just to see how it looks.

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024