Feedback?

11 years 2 months ago #273071 by Cheryl E
Well, here goes...my first official post on here!

I would love any 'cc' you may have!
I am looking to start my own photography business aside from the wedding assisting I do.
Since I work with animals daily, I find a natural draw to pet photography. So for a couple practice shoots, I went met up with some co-workers and their pets for a couple of shoots.

Here are my 2 favs from each shoot....Again, I welcome any 'cc'!!

Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago #273074 by Vespista
My favourites are shots 2 & 4.
Great focus, composition and choice of lens / DOF.
Well done!

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #273078 by Dori
The second one is great! Very sharp and crisp :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

11 years 2 months ago #273079 by Cheryl E
Thank you!

11 years 2 months ago #273092 by Leilanee
Very nice! I agree about the second shot: crisp, clear, lovely tones, and you got the eyes down perfectly ;)

The first two are awesome, the second two look like snapshots, though.

11 years 2 months ago #273260 by Shutter Buddies
I agree with others and that the second is my favorite as well. I especially like the snow on him (or her). :)

Check out my Kickstarter Project!
www.kickstarter.com/projects/2081896432/...se-to-shutterbuddies

www.shutterbuddies.com
www.etsy.com/shop/shutterbuddies
www.facebook.com/shutterbuddiespage

***PhotographyTalk users get 15% off their entire purchase with coupon code TALK15***

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #273304 by garyrhook
<$0.02>
1) Needs contrast, and the snow is gray here, not white as it should be. The profile is nice, but compositionally I'd like to see more space to the left of the dog. The head is right in the center of the frame, which bothers me.
2) Yes, sharp, good DoF. Could use more contrast (for me).
3) Camera position, cat pose is good, but that background is distracting. Lighting is poor, as it's not focused on the animal.
4) I like the pose, but again, the lighting is poor. The blown-out sunlight is very distracting and there's no brightness on the animal's face. I probably wouldn't have lost the nose and ears, either.
</$0.02>

Keep it up! Good for you for asking for feedback. It's tough to do, but if you can maintain a detached demeanor (i.e. thick skin) there's nothing better.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cheryl E
11 years 2 months ago #273407 by Cheryl E
Thank you Gary! I appreciate your honest feedback! That's what I was after. I figure the only way I am going to improve is if I know what I can do better!

Here is a re-edit on the first image - any better?

Photo 3 and 4 were luck of the draw shots - I just put the camera on the floor and snapped!
The lighting inside the clients house wasn't that great - lots of shadows
And I wasn't happy with the images I was getting with my flash (my flash photography is a work in progress...)
#4 I was disappointed that I didn't get the nose and ears in as well. but was happy that it was focused on the feet. I know there is so much wrong with the photo, but I keep going back to it as one of my favs still.

Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago #273410 by John37
The re-edit is great! My favorite is the cat. the angle plays well with what the cat is doing. It comes off as playful. It makes me wonder what he's playing with. The others are good too. #4 also has a very good emotional tie to it. Nice shots all around. :thumbsup:

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 2 months ago #273526 by garyrhook

Cheryl E wrote: Here is a re-edit on the first image - any better?

Photo 3 and 4 were luck of the draw shots - I just put the camera on the floor and snapped!
The lighting inside the clients house wasn't that great - lots of shadows
And I wasn't happy with the images I was getting with my flash (my flash photography is a work in progress...)
#4 I was disappointed that I didn't get the nose and ears in as well. but was happy that it was focused on the feet. I know there is so much wrong with the photo, but I keep going back to it as one of my favs still.

I think the contrast is much better, yes. Given the solid white background, I think the dog should be bold and agressive in its appearance. Leave the softness to the snow.

Re: indoors and flash. Yup. I find that I'm having to learn to use one, in that it can help solve a lot of problems. Time well spent.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024