Is this photo boring?

9 years 10 months ago #387214 by rtenny
Please dont hold back I want the honest, hard truth. I have been discussing this photo with my partner and she things its c**p. I do like it a lot as it turned oyr exactly like i wanted it. But is it a boring picture nonetheless?

9 years 10 months ago #387215 by garyrhook
For me:

I don't find it boring at all. Fundamentally, does the image portray what you want it to?

I rather like shots like this, so keep that in mind. The focus on the blue pot, along with it's placement in the frame is perfect. The blur of the others make them interesting to to look at, but my eye keeps coming back to the blue one. I think its color contrast emphasizes it as well, and gives another reason for the eye to come back to it (highest sharpest contrast in the frame). I like the shadows as well. Yet bright without being glaring.

I want to know more about where you were when you took this: a market, a street vendor, other? Are there other people around looking at the wares?

Again, for me, I'd call this successful.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: rtenny
9 years 10 months ago #387221 by Flash Steven
Hmmmm, for me I like what I'm looking at.  The colors and two lines of pots coming together in the background.  There is just something about this shot that I find interesting.  

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #387223 by rtenny
Our photography club has a theme each month and everybody print one photo to the meeting and we discuss the photos. Its NOT a competition as we all are just hobby photographers. The theme this month was Flowers. Rather then taking a ordinary shot of a flower I wanted something different. I saw those pots some time ago and always wanted to go back to take a picture of them. Its a garden center and I was there 9:00 when they opened. (Already outside the golden hours) As those pots have flowers painted on them I thought they still fit the theme. This one is takeing with a 50mm prime Nikon f1.8. I like it very much as it is exactly like I wanted it to turn out, shallow depth of field to emphasize the red flower on the blue pot. But when I showed the image to my partner she said is a tiatlly boring iamge and I ended up taking an ordinary photo to the meeting after all.

Glad to read Gary's comment. He is always honest and I value his critique very much. Thanks for you comments.

9 years 10 months ago #387230 by william_cpa
If I were to rely on my partner for critique I would be sweeping the streets for a living :lol:
9 years 10 months ago #387232 by garyrhook
Your post sparks a few more thoughts.

Everyone has an opinion. There's a vulgar aphorism here in the states about that. And creative endeavors tend to encourage people to share their opinion. You are never required to agree with them, however.

The fact that your partner didn't like the image, but you do, is exactly why you should have taken it. It wasn't boring, it created a difference of opinion. Just the kind of thing worth discussing. In the end, it's up to you to find and express your artistic vision.

IMO most people have really bad taste. I am amazed at what garners attention, and I am learning not to care.

As for your details about the image, I don't want to know what you did to get the shot. I want my imagination to run wild. It's much more fun and rewarding to mentally build a story around something like that. And, of course, not everyone has an imagination.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #387235 by rtenny
Sorry for misinterpreting the English language. Reading "I want to know more about where you were .... " I did not realize you where talking about the emotion the picture was creating.

strange thing language, especially when you not a native speaker.

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #387262 by KCook

william_cpa wrote: If I were to rely on my partner for critique I would be sweeping the streets for a living :lol:

Once again, I am ROFL!  Makes me wish I lived nearer Chicago.

In my view that is a good photo of a boring subject.  But the slant of shooting flowery artwork instead of actual flowers was a good one.  I give you full points for that approach. :cheers:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 10 months ago #387269 by icepics
I wouldn't describe it as boring but don't think it works as well as it could because too much of the photo is out of focus. I like the idea of it, the color and pattern of the flower pots going into the distance, but the perspective draws your eyes and there's nothing to see. It's like looking at it without my glasses - I can't make out most of the picture.

It's a great subject and there's potential there. I'd probably want to go back and try some different aperture settings and see what can give you enough of the pots in focus for there to be something to be able to see well.  

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #387389 by IzzieK

william_cpa wrote: If I were to rely on my partner for critique I would be sweeping the streets for a living :lol:

That bad??? awwwwwwwww you don't mean that....:(

9 years 10 months ago #387407 by Hassner
I do not mind for the shallow depth of field. There is a focal point and interesting texture. Not like a well accepted art photographer whose shots I looked at yesterday who did his nudes 100% area out of focus to give a dreamy effect. I felt like cleaning my glasses to correct it.

An area where I would have tried for improvement, was to lessen the brown wood areas. Setting up would have taken time and I do not know if they would have allowed you to rearrange their potted wall.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #387503 by John Landolfi
Not at all. The colors are vivid, the exposure is fine, and the composition eclectic but subtly effective. And the focus/ out-of-focus provides a nice rhythm. Your partner should start looking with your eye:)

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #387537 by william_cpa

IzzieK wrote:

That bad??? awwwwwwwww you don't mean that....:(

I say the following, in one form or another, to all beginner students at the school. Take it as you will:
You are already perfect. By choosing photography, you have embarked upon a lifelong journey examining yourself, your life and creativity. You have chosen to grow that part of you that seeks the light. This is your journey and nobody else's.

Anyone's opinion of your work is an expression of their journey, not yours. It is not becoming for you to leap about from one person's journey to another's. Stay firmly on your own path. Always listen to expert technical advice and, unless they are accompanied by large sums of money, the freely offered opinions of others can be safely ignored.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024