The Phone Box and the Flag

9 years 9 months ago #393106 by wwinter86
Hi,

Here are my two favourite photos that I took.
I was wondering what people think of them, as the flag picture people just don't seem to be all that interested in
and the telephone box photo people say is out of focus, even though I have check it using a plugin for Photoshop that has the focus peaking lines mostly on the box.

img\def

img\def

9 years 9 months ago #393125 by JeremyS
Personally, in my opinion the flag looks a bit uninteresting as is, it could look better with a B&W possibly. And the telephone box to me is a little bit oversaturated. Overall they are decent photos. Good job :)

9 years 9 months ago #393126 by wwinter86
With the flag I was keeping it a little dull with the colours because of the theme, but if you look closely it has a lot of detail such as rust on the fence and a cctv camera peaking out.

The vibrance in the phone box one I did boost a little as I thought it looked better like that and it was a bright and hot day.

Do you think the phone box picture is out of focus as I have had some people say to me?

9 years 9 months ago #393141 by JeremyS

wwinter86 wrote: With the flag I was keeping it a little dull with the colours because of the theme, but if you look closely it has a lot of detail such as rust on the fence and a cctv camera peaking out.

The vibrance in the phone box one I did boost a little as I thought it looked better like that and it was a bright and hot day.

Do you think the phone box picture is out of focus as I have had some people say to me?

It could be a little bit soft. Which could be from various reasons, either the camera wasn't at an optimal setting with aperture, or too slow shutter speed, or even just not quite focused on the right point exactly. It look's relatively focused, but its best to take a 100% view to see how it really is. 

9 years 9 months ago #393532 by wwinter86
Here is another version of the phone box picture after playing around with it some more in Lightroom. Which do you prefer, the first version or this one and is this one still soft?

9 years 9 months ago #393933 by NicoIa
About the box: the second one *looks* much sharper but it still is a bit oversaturated. I think it may be a good candidate for a BW.

About the flag: I am not sure what is that you are trying to tell and my eye is not sure what to look at. If it fulfills your goal, it may be a good idea to crop the upper left corner where the sky is featureless and a bit dull. It may have been better to use a smaller aperture: the part of the flag pointing towards the observer seems to be OOF. Finally, I would add clarity and/or contrast and I would consider this one too for BW.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wwinter86
9 years 9 months ago #393939 by butterflygirl921
The flag picture is just to dull.  It has a lot of unused space in the top left corner I would crop it out because the photo is unbalanced.  Also as stated above turn it to black and white I think that would work more.  The phone box picture looks good and balanced, but its really over saturated try taking the greens down a bit.  The grass thats not under the tree is so over saturated it looks like yellow with a splash of green.  I would try doing these things.  Please post more versions of it so we can help you out more :D 

The following user(s) said Thank You: wwinter86
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #394294 by wwinter86

Hi, The flag I have sharpened and cropped (plus included a back and white version), I think it need some colour in the Union Flag though to work. I also think it looks too cramped cropped. This picture is deliberately dull colours as it is meant to be a little dull and depressing.

The Phone box I have adjusted the saturation and greens, plus included a black and white version. But again I think colour works best on this one too.

9 years 9 months ago #394321 by garyrhook
For me

The shot of the flag is just not interesting, no matter how you slice it. I am not getting any context, meaning or message from what I see in the shot. Color or B&W just seems irrelevant. I'd like to see something else here that makes me wonder about why the flag is there, perhaps where it came from. As is, though, I don't really care. YMMV.

The composition in the phone box image is good, but again, not sure about the story. What is the story? The light is less than ideal, and my eye keeps moving to the bright wall on the right.

Good effort, good on you for looking for input. Now time to move on to the next shot. IMO. Again, YMMV.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #394337 by wwinter86
The flag (titled The State of Decay) is torn and abandoned on a rusty fence blowing in the wind with a CCTV camera peaking through it. Symbolising the state of the nation today. This was actually quite a lucky find, as I didn't set it up for the photo I just found it like it in a car park and not long after I took the picture there was little left of it. 

The telephone box is a classic red British phone box at the side of the street outside of Hampton Court Palace. Doesn't tell a story as such, but to be honest very few photos do.

I would like to know, do people prefer the flag photo with or without crop, is the sky of the phone box picture better in the original or the latest?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Auto white balance is a camera setting that adjusts the color temperature of your images automatically. It often works well, but you should know a few tips to fix problems it might cause, too.

May 24, 2024

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III might be more than a decade old, but it still has the chops to be a quality camera for photographers in 2024.

May 23, 2024

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024