C&C Request: Dealing with midday sun

9 years 5 months ago #409912 by garyrhook
As we all know, bright midday light is no one's choice of environments. Having just been on holiday and being stuck with just that situation, I'm curious as to whether these images came out OK. All shot mid-day, clear sky, bright sun. Processed from a single exposure in LR and PS to try to get something worth looking at.

Any/all comments welcome.

img\def

img\def

img\def

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409923 by JeremyS
The third one works the most for me. The only reason why I prefer the third over the other two is because I feel the stark shadow really shows the angles and the mood of that building. The second is the weakest and the first I like it, however I get a feeling of awkwardness and I don't know why. I can't seem to place my finger on it. Good Job, and I'd be proud to have both the first and third as one of my own!

9 years 5 months ago #409927 by icepics
I love the way you used the shadows in the first one. I like the asymmetry of it. The only tweak I'd think about is the top edge of the image; I feel like I'd like to see a bit more of that gray edge, it seems a little too cut off. I don't know if I'd crop it just a little more to get rid of what can be seen of the gray or not.

I don't care so much for the second one, I think there's more out of focus background that seems to detract from the subject, and the light just doesn't seem to work.

The third one too uses shadow nicely, more subtle than the first but makes the door even more interesting. The placement of the shadow of the light fixture on the wall in the composition is nicely balanced.

Yeah, I like that first one, took yet another look before leaving the thread.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409960 by KCook
I agree with Sharon.  #1 and 3 are solid efforts :thumbsup:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 5 months ago #410163 by JaneK
:agree:    1 & 3.   However, #1 seems to be opening the door most for me. The texture, tone and simplicity for some reason strike me as my favorite among these. 

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #410173 by NicoIa
+1 on #1 and #3. Perhaps I would just make the burning of the right side a little more subtle (you burned it, did not you? I may be wrong).

Good job! :thumbsup:

9 years 5 months ago #410219 by Simon Says
All great shots mate.... I like #3 though......

9 years 5 months ago #410485 by Travel Nut
Very cool. I like these type of pics.

9 years 5 months ago #410525 by garyrhook
Thank you, all. I appreciate hearing from others.

The first has some rooftop and other stuff outside the crop; I went in and did some cloning to add some flashing at the top and clean things up.  Here's an updated version where I've added a bit of space. Here, though, I'm not sure about the bit of viga showing in the top left. Thoughts?

img\def

The image is vignetted in LR. Burning in PS doesn't always do what I like. The exposure adjustments in LR usually do the trick for me.

As for the third (also with exposure adjustments) I agree that along the right edge it's probably too much. Here's a modified version of it, as well:

img\def

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024