Sky Ribbons..... in need of feedback.....

12 years 7 months ago #134826 by DonD2

Shanna-Marie wrote: Wow, these are really cool shots-great job! :)

Thanks so much Shanna for the kind feedback. I really appreciate it! :cheers:
12 years 7 months ago #134847 by DonD2

Pixelchix wrote: Really like the comp on these.. I don't agree about the 'loosening' them up I like the tight shot-makes it very dramatic impact. The first is my favorite with the with the gray of the sky fading away. the second almost looks tilt shift to me. I would like to see one with a very blue sky. Not really a fan of the infared looking ones but all in all I could see these hanging in a corporate setting.

Thanks Meredith for your insight and input. I'm glad that you liked the tighter vs. looser theory as that is the school of thought that I prescribe to (at least at the moment, I'm trying to stay open minded..... haha! ) I too really enjoy the sky in the 1st one, but my preference seems to be more for the dark skies as it seems to make for a very strong contrast, and thus a bit more dramatic to/for me. I like your observation about the second one having a tilt- shift feel to it. I had not noticed that before. I would love to have a tilt-shift lens, but all of my photos at this time are done with the only lens that I have and that is the 18-55mm kit lens. ( was really hoping to win that Tamaron lens, but oh well, I digress....haha!) As far as one with a very blue sky, I have a few versions of, I believe that first image in color with several dark blue skies. They're located HERE let me know what you think of those, if you don't mind? I also have a similar vision of these photos, not all of them, but a select few, as a set of large prints displayed together and although I hadn't thought of it I suppose that some sort of corporate setting would be appropriate for that. Thanks again for your input Meredith! :cheers:
12 years 7 months ago #134891 by robbie

icepics wrote: They almost look infrared, but are they?? Interesting shots, they almost look futuristic. I think I like the first two the best, they don't have highway signs so you don't realize at first it's an interstate, they seem more surreal. Whatever you did, you seem to be onto something here. Some have some real interesting perspective.

Maybe that`s why I am blown away with these images Don!!Love the tonal range,beautiful work.
Guess I didn`t realise my love for bw until I went thru my images and saw the amount that were there.

12 years 7 months ago #134971 by photobod
Great work Don, you are stretching yourself, many people would have driven past this view and never seen a photo opportunity.
Abstract in a way but its obvious what we are seeing, the tonal range is superb, I love the very tight focus and the way the elevated highways sweep us in and out of the photo.
Good work with the filters Don they have given a very powerful look to these images and I have to agree that they would look good in a corporate setting or maybe one of those very modern hotels, the ones we cant afford to go into.
A photographer who thinks outside of the box and uses his imagination is what you have become Don, dont stop keep up the good work.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 7 months ago #135077 by DonD2

robbie wrote:

icepics wrote: They almost look infrared, but are they?? Interesting shots, they almost look futuristic. I think I like the first two the best, they don't have highway signs so you don't realize at first it's an interstate, they seem more surreal. Whatever you did, you seem to be onto something here. Some have some real interesting perspective.

Maybe that`s why I am blown away with these images Don!!Love the tonal range,beautiful work.
Guess I didn`t realise my love for bw until I went thru my images and saw the amount that were there.

Wow, coming from you Robbie, The IR master I feel, quite blessed with your assessment of my endeavors. Wow, thank you so much.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
12 years 7 months ago #135080 by DonD2

photobod wrote: Great work Don, you are stretching yourself, many people would have driven past this view and never seen a photo opportunity.
Abstract in a way but its obvious what we are seeing, the tonal range is superb, I love the very tight focus and the way the elevated highways sweep us in and out of the photo.
Good work with the filters Don they have given a very powerful look to these images and I have to agree that they would look good in a corporate setting or maybe one of those very modern hotels, the ones we cant afford to go into.
A photographer who thinks outside of the box and uses his imagination is what you have become Don, dont stop keep up the good work.

Wow, you (and everyone else as well) are blowing me away with the kind words, feedback and encouragement. I thank you so very much David. It is weird, every time I that I drove through that area, I would say "I really need to get up here and take some photos of this" as I was always having to be someplace else at that time and could not stop right then for a photo shoot. I am so glad that I made the time to go back and get these shots. Now, I need to go back and get this interchange from one of the other quadrants to add some perspective to the set. There is an area that I absolutely have to get photo's of for this set as it should add to it quite well. It is from the North East quadrant looking back to the Southwest towards the center of the Interchange as they have (I believe) 3 flag poles set up an extremely large US Flag, a State of New Mexico Flag and I believe a MIA/POW Flag and I think if I can get that at the right angle with the right light it should be a nice compliment to this set.

Thanks again for your input, feedback and encouragement David! :beerbang: :beerbang: Rock on Bro.!
12 years 7 months ago #135082 by zsazsam14
I love these shots. As you know, I do not edit so I am not sure how to go about how you did all of this. I will learn though.. ;) I am fondest of the shots with the clouds in them. They add to the drama for me. I am not sure if you could edit them out or take a different perspective but a few had poles and/or signs. Granted, these are road/ramps but in one I was distracted trying to figure out what the sign was.. Over all, I loved them. They are very creative, modern, hip, etc. As others pointed out, I could so see these in a corporate lobby/office, modern gallary, coffee shop, etc. . You are doing a great job!

12 years 7 months ago #135123 by John Landolfi
:thumbsup: All interesting, very atmospheric, an almost tactile surface feel. Nice use of fitration, yellow in no1, red elsewhere ( try green, for a different sky feel). You are engaging all aspects of the craft, not forgetting the imnportance of thought and planning. I find that most show good ideas on composition and texture, but lack a point of interest for the strong composition and contrast you provide. No5 is, to my eyes, the most successful as a photograph. The extreme contrast of this technique seems to require better DOF control-fading sharpness would be a problem for enlargement. I hope you use the good ideas to produce and post more images on your discovery of the potential of an almosy forgotten technique.:thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #135472 by jackhavoc
Those look very good...I lake the Clouds in the background makes it feel more real...

John Hancock Studios
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #135483 by Karl Wertanen
Hey Don! I love these! 1, 2, and 5 are my favorites and 1 being the best IMHO. It's simple, theres not "too much" going on in the composition , good lines that take you through, good light, exposure, etc.

I enjoy looking at peoples B&W but am not a B&W shooter so i'm probably not anywhere near qualified to give you the negatives for improvement you may be looking for. the one thing that slightly distracts me is the jet black sky in them (except for the 1st one). It's pretty overpowering. I think if you had the time to wait around and let some clouds pass through the black sky, it might help offset the jet black just a little. but that's just me. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

As for the tighter/looser and crop later conversation, paying attention to the fine details and making sure i get things right at the time of capture made me a much better photographer much quicker.... because i knew next time i had to go out and get it right the 1st time so i had the incentive to be come better, otherwise i come back with an inferior shot. i think that's where the artist and craftsmanship comes from in photography. simply snapping a 80% acceptable shot and fixing it later in post processing does nothing for the development of my "compositional eye" or the development of talent. I'm not saying doing this is the wrong way to do it by any means (it helps some people immensely to do it that way. everybody learns differently), but through my experience, my eye now "naturally see's" the lines, texture, light and placement of how the subject and it's surroundings in the landscape will work within the frame of my camera "because" i made it a priority do do it right the 1st time. now when i go out, my ratio of keepers to loosers has greatly improved.

#1 is an exceptional shot Don. Portfolio worthy in my opinion :judge: Hang on to that one for sure!
12 years 7 months ago #135499 by KCook
Err, just for the record, I prefer tight compositions myself. My reason for framing the original shot a little loose is to provide freedom for the final aspect ratio. Not locking the shot into the native 3:2 (or whatever) camera format from start to finish. Sorry I didn't explain that very well.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago #159012 by photochik71
:judge: :judge: :woohoo: :banana:

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024