Overdone?

12 years 7 months ago #149332 by KCook
The tripod can stay or go. Dunno if HDR was used, but the tones are unsettling, more like an artist's rendering than a photograph.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #149349 by Scotty

KCook wrote: The tripod can stay or go. Dunno if HDR was used, but the tones are unsettling, more like an artist's rendering than a photograph.

Kelly

Which tones are unsettling?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #149352 by MLKstudios
I think Kelly is referring to the HDR bits. :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #149355 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: I think Kelly is referring to the HDR bits. :)

No HDR actually. Aggresive fill in ACR editor and multiple agressive sharpening methods.
I what you mean though. This is one RAW btw.

Colors are pretty accurate though.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #149375 by KCook

Scotty wrote:

KCook wrote: The tripod can stay or go. Dunno if HDR was used, but the tones are unsettling, more like an artist's rendering than a photograph.

Kelly

The floor and ceiling. The tones are so dead even, from near to distant, that they have an artificial look to them. I don't think sharpening is much of an issue in a image this small.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #149394 by Scotty

KCook wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Kelly

The floor and ceiling. The tones are so dead even, from near to distant, that they have an artificial look to them. I don't think sharpening is much of an issue in a image this small.

Kelly

I get what you're saying.

Btw sharpening create tone and texture if done right. Not talking USM.

It terms of brightness its enhanced like you're talk about. Its pretty close to the original.

Thanks for the critique though, i knew it wasnt perfect putting it up..and I think you have some very valid ideas.

Cheers.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #149401 by proverbs3photos
awesome!!

12 years 7 months ago #149420 by icepics
Your title of the post was - overdone? Apparently you already knew the answer to your own question. I tend toward Kelly's description of it having a more artificial look, but not extremely so.

The other tripod gives it some interest - w/the photographer in the center of the shot, what happened - did he wander away from it or set it over there out of the way? was someone else set up there but we don't see them in the photo? - we now know the answer since you told us the story of the photo, but the viewer wouldn't know. Tells a story w/a bit of it untold with the empty tripod there.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #149431 by Stealthy Ninja
Nah the tripod just looks like it was a mistake. Don't make excused for Scotty. :p
12 years 7 months ago #149436 by Shanna-Marie
Excellent shot Scotty, I like it just the way it is. :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 7 months ago #149461 by Stealthy Ninja
BTW you guys are all nuts. The composition of the photo naturally draws the eye into the centre subject. Leaving in the tripod on the right just distracts the eye and gives a feeling of unevenness to a picture that's all about symmetry and direction. It's not like it's a freakin' dark and dingy place where a bit of tension will be beneficial anyway.

It's like building a mc'donalds on that top of one of the domes of the Taj Mahal. It's just breaking the symmetry for no good reason.
12 years 7 months ago #149474 by icepics
Why does it need to be symmetrical? And if you don't want something in your photo why not change your vantage point? Digitally removing something later seems like a lack of composing the shot well in the first place.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #149481 by Stealthy Ninja

icepics wrote: Why does it need to be symmetrical? And if you don't want something in your photo why not change your vantage point? Digitally removing something later seems like a lack of composing the shot well in the first place.

A: It IS symmetrical, that's the whole point.
A: Because then you'd lose the angle you want and the symmetry.

Sometimes getting the angle you want is worth having the extra work of digital post processing. In this case Scotty should have removed the 2nd tripod before taking the shot, but I guess he didn't realise it was gonna be such a nice shot. So now he has to remove it digitally.

Glad you see the 2nd tripod is a mistake and should be removed. Yeh I agree next time he should be more careful with the shot and make sure the 2nd tripod is gone.

:)
12 years 7 months ago #149614 by rob vorderman
As far I'm concerned the tripod can stay, it fills up all that empty space in that corner.
A little less sharpening would be more pleasing but that is just me.

But scotty if you like it that's all that matters. :goodpost:

Rob.

12 years 7 months ago #149630 by Scotty
Thanks rob.

I'm going compromise and edit out half of the tripod.

BTW I editing the original posting..so you click on it it gives you a larger resolution picture.

Check out the larger size.

Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024