Night at Waterfront

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #185880 by berj28
:) Feel free to comment.... its my first time to post a topic here..thank you

Photo inserted by chasrich... look for the insert button after uploading your image.

The photograph itself doesn't interest me. I want only to capture a minute part of reality. ~Henri Cartier Bresson

----BenZ----

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #185913 by mattmoran
I like it. If I took that picture I'd be proud to hang it on my wall.

If I wanted to pick on something, I'd say the sky is a lot of negative space. Colorful clouds would add to the picture. Probably would have had to take the picture a little earlier for that.

But as I said, good picture.

-Matt
The following user(s) said Thank You: berj28
12 years 4 months ago #185940 by rmeyer7
:judge:

I agree with Matt that I'd be proud to hang this on my wall if it were my shot. Well done.

As for the negative space in the sky, it doesn't particularly bother me, but if you wanted to you could probably do some cropping above the buildings. Or if you were to shoot it again, maybe get less sky and more reflection in the water. Or even photoshop an interesting moon into the sky ;)

IMO it doesn't need any of that though, it's already good. Just a few creative things to try for fun.

12 years 4 months ago #185941 by chasrich
Welcome to the forums... I'm glad to see you posting. :welcomeclan :welcomeclan :welcomeclan

I love this scene. What a terrific choice of locations...

As was mentioned the sky occupies a lot of the frame. I would rather have seen more of the reflection off the water. The center of the frame is on the building top when it could have been closer to the horizon.

The focus seems a bit soft. I was taking some night shots last weekend and had some camera motion from somewhere. I always choose my sturdiest tripod for this type of image. If you were on a floating dock or a boat this would be the most likely source of movement. Because I see a lot of noise around the lights I'm suspecting if you used a really high ISO and handheld the camera???

I love the shot. It turned out very nice. These night time images are not easy so well done. :judge: :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 4 months ago #185981 by lonewolf
This is a beautiful shot i love it just the way it is.

12 years 4 months ago #186137 by Shanna-Marie
Beautiful shot, nice to see you posting! :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 4 months ago #186311 by berj28
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your comments. i will try to crop it and post it later. thank you again everyone... :)

The photograph itself doesn't interest me. I want only to capture a minute part of reality. ~Henri Cartier Bresson

----BenZ----

12 years 4 months ago #186322 by barbaraw
I think that it is a great shot! I have such a hard time with night shots. They never look this crisp. I agree with the pp that croping some of the sky might enhance the image :) Overall, great!

12 years 4 months ago #186373 by berj28
C:\fakepath\IMG_0042.jpg
here you go.. tried cropping it.. :)

----BenZ----

12 years 4 months ago #186374 by berj28
C:\fakepath\IMG_0042.jpg

----BenZ----

12 years 4 months ago #186375 by berj28

----BenZ----

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #186376 by berj28
sorry bout the double post.. the image is too big. i forgot to resize it.

----BenZ----

12 years 4 months ago #186382 by nino xerri
I like both versions. The negative space does not bother me at all.
Beacuse of the compostion, it is difficult to crop any further without chopping off part of that Spire and the Auckland Tower.

Nino Xerri
12 years 4 months ago #186387 by berj28
thank you nino for the comment. :)

----BenZ----

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024