before and after shot of a country house

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #186607 by John37
I set out to duplicate a color-rich photo of a country house, much like the ones I gawk over on the net. I failed instantly! :lol: First off, my original photo was over exposed. I wasn't able to re-capture any of that detail.
Then, I tried to clone, saturate, sharpen and colorize in one fell swoop. I may have bit off more than I can chew in this one. Below are the before and after versions of the same shot. Am I at least on the right track with my editing? CC welcome, as always!
Thank you!

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #186612 by john_m
Well, it is definitely processes lol. I really like the "over" saturated foreground/background. Now the house.....is a different story. I find it distracting with all of the colors on the side (caused by over saturating). That being said, you could start over but this time create a layer mask. This way, you can still add saturation to everything else, but still control how the house itself. On a side note, this image would look great B&W..

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 months ago #186613 by photobod
You have gone a long way to improving the photo so far, did you shoot in raw if not then you have not got much more to work with, if you have then get back in their and see if you can lift some of those colors maybe a trip into curves would help. :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 4 months ago #186620 by John37
Thank you for the feedback. I did shoot in raw. I kept the original so I could mess with it. Here's another version, in B&W as suggested. I threw some snow in there, just to mess around a little more. I know the snow is not perfect... but it's my first time for that too! ;)
Thanks again for the input.

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #186623 by John37

john_m wrote: Well, it is definitely processes lol. I really like the "over" saturated foreground/background. Now the house.....is a different story. I find it distracting with all of the colors on the side (caused by over saturating). That being said, you could start over but this time create a layer mask. This way, you can still add saturation to everything else, but still control how the house itself. On a side note, this image would look great B&W..

Hey John, are you talking about the orange colors on the side? If so, those were deliberately painted in. Perhaps I should have pulled back the opacity of that layer, or not put it in there at all. The all-green side was bothering me, so I tried adding another element. As I said, I failed from the onset!! :rofl:

12 years 4 months ago #186631 by john_m
Lol yeah John that's what I was referring to. Honestly, I'm a fan of the b&w, minus the snow lol. I think you did a great job shooting the photo. I'm curious as to what the photo looked like before processing the house. Great job none the less man.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 months ago #186636 by chasrich
You have the same bug as me... editing is great fun and can be as creative as the taking of the shot. Every time I explore one of the tools I am not familiar with I over do it. The more I practice the more subtle my adjustments become. I can look back now on work I did a year ago and can see where I overdid some of the edits. You are moving along rather nicely. The fact that you worry about over processing means you are in the tasting phase... like a chef that has just discovered a new spice.

The BW looks nice too. Less snow on the roof and maybe a sprinkle of it in the shady areas might make it more believable. I'd like to see a downhill racer and a few slalom poles coming off the peak of the roof. :rofl: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #186637 by John37
Thanks, John. The original photo is the first one in this post. That photo had no processing at all. I simply went from RAW, to jpg to here.
Chasrich... you are correct about the tasting mode. In just 3 months I've learned all this new stuff. It's all so new that I do tend to overdo it. Funny you mentioned the chef. I do all the cooking... and at first it was too much salt and other seasoning. Then too little. I'm finally at the stage now (ten years later) where some of the food I make is better than what I pay for at a restaurant! :lol:

12 years 4 months ago #186676 by ankur_sen
U really have done a nice job in editing.Background is really over saturated but its really good wid this pic...........

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #187060 by rmeyer7
I actually think the orange/brownish color you added in could work nicely, but you'd have to tone down the green on the house to make it believable. The color you added in gives it a weathered look, so the parts that are left green should also look more faded and less vibrant to match that look.

I hope you don't mind, I did a sample edit just to show what I'm talking about. I'd probably take it even a little further than this, but just to give you an idea of what I meant:

Before:

After:

If you are bothered by me editing and posting a copy of your picture please let me know and I'll be happy to remove it from this post! I've already deleted it from my computer. :)

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #187065 by icepics
I'd go find a more colorful house and start over, or reshoot this in different lighting (different time of day) and see if you get a better shot to start from. There's only so much you can do if the photo isn't as good as you wanted. Seems like the more a photo gets doctored up the more it looks like it just got the heck photoshopped out of it, and all you see is the editing not the image. If it's not a great photo it just isn't.

Scratch it off as a learning experience and move on, that's my usual MO (may not be easy but sometimes you just gotta accept you didn't get what you wanted and it's back to the drawing board to figure out a way to get the photo).

It is an interesting subject and good composition (except I'd maybe reframe or crop a bit and get the muffler that fell off somebody's car out of your way - or maybe it could work as part of the shot). I like the way you got the curve of the road in the photo, that seems to help balance the image.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #187084 by John37
mind? not at all. It's cool to actually see someone's Cc, rather than to just hear about it.. thank you for taking the time to mess with it. It looks fantastic.

12 years 4 months ago #187088 by rmeyer7

John37 wrote: mind? not at all. It's cool to actually see someone's Cc, rather than to just hear about it.. thank you for taking the time to mess with it. It looks fantastic.

Cool, glad the visual could help explain what I was talking about. What software do you use for editing? This is something that can be done without too much trouble in Photoshop, and would also be really easy with an adjustment brush in Lightroom.

12 years 4 months ago #187167 by Shanna-Marie
Looks like everyone's already made some good suggestions, Isn't it "fun" learning new things? I like this a lot John, love the B&W too! :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 4 months ago #187448 by John37
Thanks for all the input.

rmeyer7 - I use Paintshop Photo Pro x3. I love the program but I can't stand its lack of stability. It either works, or it doesn't.

Icepics- I shot this at the wrong time of day for sure. It was about 2 pm. Funny you mentioned the road. That was a last minute decision I made after applying what I've learned about composition and lines. I used the road purposely. Thanks for catching that.

Thanks to all that commented. It really helps to hear this.

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024