Untitled

12 years 1 month ago #214109 by nedward50
Big thank you from me to all who have contributed. Some great points raised and some very keen observations.
Kelly's reference to crayons is a keen observation along with Charles reference around form and colour. There was a deeper driver that I won't share, which required an abstract approach.

If you google beach huts there are thousands of images. I didn't set out to photograph the huts although i was on a photographic mission whilst taking a weekend break. Since then and in different seaside locations I'll take more than a passing glance to see if there is another angle. Even done some internet hunting. The more i found out the more possibilities open up. You wouldn't believe the value of some of these boxes that are a Victorian legacy.

Here's another beach hut shot with a different mind set - I probably need to "get a life" lol.
Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #214141 by orion
In the first shot, I can see what boriqua means with the sky, probably not an easy subject to photograph with too much sky in the distance and on top of the roofs. What i would have suggested would be to try and get higher by a few feet (but as its a beach might not be able to) and shoot downwards to eliminate too much sky in the distance, would have been nicer if there were clouds to cover up the sky. Also try and look at it horizontially as well.

Or...might have been better to take a step or two back, reframe it and crop it if necessary.
A polarising filter should bring the sky and colors better.

The last shot you took, i like, but I would (if possible) moved closer to the hut so the hut is bigger, but still have the beach and sky/clouds in shot.

Good subjects though....but remember these comments are other peoples opinions...

By the way.....where in the UK are these taken???

The following user(s) said Thank You: nedward50
12 years 1 month ago #214257 by nedward50
Lee , yes all yes comments received are valid and as far as composition goes i move around the site to get the best position to suit my aesthetics. There was no way I could get higher and I remember commenting to my wife (she really suffers with me) that a pair of stepladders would be handy. The shot was taken on the sea front Scarborough.
The attached is the finished shot.

T'other shot was from Norfolk, Wells next to Sea. I was gobsmacked to find out you can pay upwards of 10k for one of these garden sheds. There are even more expensive ones dotted round the British Coast.

Both shots were driven by thoughts about housing development and prices and "little boxes" the Scarborough one was submitted as part of a panel for an upgrade in membership status to a world famous Photography Educational Charity.

Thanks for taking time to view and comment.

Cheers
Ned
Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago #214327 by Shanna-Marie
Looks like everyone's about got this covered, just want to say that I like this a lot! Great job Ned! :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 1 month ago #214335 by icepics
Great use of form/line and color. I might have framed it (or if need be after the fact, cropped it) to eliminate the top of the photo.

The image would lose the top left corner and a little sky but I don't know that the top of the far left building is doing a lot for the image anyway; it might bring the viewer's eye more to the row of color and the zig zag pattern. Just a thought, lots of possibilities with this subject.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #214353 by nedward50
Shanna-Marie, Sharon, thanks for your comments, considered feedback is important for the next shot, doubt if I'll do beach huts again unless a new idea arrives. It was a good exercise though, I'm full of ideas it's just the execution needs improvement.
12 years 1 week ago #221590 by KCook
Now I begin to see Ned's fascination with these huts -

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132057...ng-costs-12-000.html

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 week ago #222706 by nedward50
Kelly, sorry for the late reply and yes you are bang on with the article. The second hut shot, the blue one in Norfolk, the buildings have silly values in excess on 20k in some cases. If I had that to burn I'd buy a new camera et al.
Cheers
Ned
12 years 6 days ago #222926 by San84
Nice shot....I liked the 1st one....I would probably do as Orion suggested earlier....couple of steps back and reframe taking care that the colours pop out...and yes, I am certainly interested to see how it would appear horizontally....

Men invented language to satisfy their deep urge of complaining...
12 years 6 days ago #222931 by San84
And for the single beach house....I would definitely get closer.....and move a bit right so that the house appears almost at the bottom right corner of the frame.....I am inclined to use to my wide angle lens for this and try both vertically and horizontally and see how it goes...I am almost favouring a horizontal shot for this :)

12 years 5 days ago #223106 by nedward50
San84 thanks for taking time to view and comment, I took lots of shots of both sets of huts. The first one was about shape and colour and not so much a study of the huts, it reminded me of new housing developments and the Pete Seeger song "little boxes" the roofs were very house like methinks.

The lonesome hut was also one of many and I wanted to capture what people payed all the money for...location,location,location, here's one that has people in it, they looked like estate agents selling real-estate to me. Non of the shots were in the best light and as we were on holiday its difficult to get back there.
regards
Ned
Attachments:
12 years 5 days ago #223109 by KCook
Wow, luv the use of space in that last shot!

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 4 days ago #223541 by San84
Loved the last shot!! Great use of space!! :)

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024