1st attempt at night time long exposure

11 years 8 months ago #247509 by Papabear63
here's on of my 1st attempts at night time long exposure, all C&C welcomed

Attachments:
11 years 8 months ago #247511 by chasrich
I can't wait to see your second attempt! :judge: :judge: :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 8 months ago #247533 by Blake Vogt
Love it! So tell the new guy how did you take that?

11 years 8 months ago #247547 by Darrell
Very nice :judge:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 8 months ago #247548 by butterflygirl921
I absolutely love that shot!!! :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge:

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #247549 by Papabear63
Hey Charles thanks for the comment. it was actually alot of fun to do.

Blake, i'm not an expert on long exposure shots but i know first off you will need a tripod and a remote shutter release will come in handy. I used a wide angle lens also so i get as much of the waterfront i the shot. I set my camera to a 30 second exposure, you can also use "bulb" mode also for longer exposures. The ISO was 100 and the f-stop i think was F9 i think. I was trying various f-stops to see how they turn out. Oh and no filter was used also.

I like shots i took except for how the sky turned out, kind of greyish right??? if anyone know if a filter or a certain setting would help with this please let me know, thanks.

Attachments:
11 years 8 months ago #247558 by effron
I actually like the second one best, if you would straighten the horizon. Wouldn't hurt to crop some of the sky out, either....well done......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #249489 by mclayton
Love it! Great job!

11 years 7 months ago #249584 by San84
Great shots....!! I like the 1st one better...the 2nd one needs straightening...the railing in the lower right corner seems kind of distracting....also instead of 30s try a slightly lesser exposure....say 15s or so...

Men invented language to satisfy their deep urge of complaining...
11 years 7 months ago #249586 by Rob pix4u2
very nice- try f 16 and various shutter speeds from 4 seconds to 20 seconds at just about sunset and see how you like your skies.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
11 years 7 months ago #249591 by Papabear63
Hey guys thanks for the tip, next time out i'll try and remember them so i can give them a try.

11 years 7 months ago #249735 by bluesydude
Some pretty amazing shots for first attempt. It looks to me you are well on your way to a long long exposure adventure! :judge: :judge: :judge:

Focused on photography
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #249974 by qubit
I enjoyed both the shots. The second one is better. I have been trying night shots too but I haven't been able to get good sky. I think I will f16 with different shutter speed.

11 years 7 months ago #250169 by nedward50
Nice shots Papabear.......I'm taking lots of night shots myself at the moment. Even experimented with iso 800 !!

Usually i pick some where to get a sunset first and then onto night shots. I like the "reverse" thirds in no.1 but would straighten the perspective.

Don't worry about the sky, eventually they darken so the cloud detail is not that important. Unless of course you want a twilight shot if there is colour in the sunset. Then use a neutral density graduated filter to reduce the sky to foreground contrast.
Regards
Ned
11 years 7 months ago #250175 by John Landolfi
The sky is black because it is underexposed (way under) The sensor can't accommodate a range to include both the water reflections and the sky. HDR....

Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024