Please have a look and tell me what you think. New to photography any advise good or bad. Thanks

10 years 3 months ago #335395 by jenson
I am very new to photography, and love all styles not sure what I want to concentrate on just yet.  I decided to go to the whalf with my new camera Canon 70d with 18mm-200mm lens and take some sunset photos.  I really like the photo but would love to hear what other people think.  

Any advice would be great thanks.  

10 years 3 months ago #335529 by StephanieW
I love silhouetted pictures. LOVE them. And it's all silhouetted against a wonderfully colored sky too, so right off the bat I very much love it. IF I was going to change anything I might have different things silhouetted. I don't find the poles too interesting. But that's my own personal preference and to other people this might be a very interesting subject matter. For what it is I think it's done well. I like how the four on the right are framed and I like the rooftop right where the sun is. The clouds are gorgeous and, as mentioned, love the color a lot :)

Overall I think it's great :)

10 years 3 months ago #335559 by KCook
Sunsets are always a gamble.  You just never know what the cloud gods will serve up.  Keep trying different foregrounds, this one is borderline on being too cluttered.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 3 months ago #335567 by jenson
Thank you for your comments.  I really enjoyed taking the photo unfortunately I didn't have a lot I could of used to silhouette as our wharf doesn't have a lot of buildings around it so not a lot of choice really.  I thought by trying to get a line of poles in the picture might make the photo a little more interesting.

Again thanks for the comments keep them coming as I am only learning and appreciate the help.

Jenny

10 years 3 months ago #335595 by Shadowfixer1
I like it but I would barely crop out the two objects on the right side, the pole and the light. I think that makes it a much better image.
10 years 3 months ago #335613 by DayJob
Overall, I think this is a good composition. It looks like you could get a lttle more detail from the shadows. Some contrast adjustment could and depth to the photograph

10 years 3 months ago #335627 by Tuscan Muse
I like the compostition very much.  I do agree that cropping on the right would enhance the photo.  Keep up the good work!
10 years 3 months ago #335749 by icepics
I like the silhouette of the stair-stepped pattern of the poles. The pole to the farthest right is somewhat a distraction I think because you can't see the top so it seems cut off, but that's all I'd probably lose from that side. I find that if I think about cropping one side then I think about the balance of the shapes and patterns and space in the composition - maybe make copies and try different versions. I'd think about cropping the left side because that might be more space than you need in the photo (then you'd have to see if it looks well balanced or if you need to crop slightly along the top or bottom, and decide how much to crop).

I don't think I'd necessarily want to bring out more detail because I like the almost solid black silhouette against the color of the sky. Seems like you got a really nice photo that might be benefit from just a little tweaking. As you keep learning you'll probably see how to frame your shots to get objects in your photos the way you want them and how to keep objects out of the frame that you don't want in the picture. This could be a subject worth photographing again, maybe a vertical shot would be interesting too.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #336415 by Simon Says
Beautiful photography and click.

10 years 3 months ago #336531 by boriqua latina
 abide by the rule of thirds... by reading you learn tons more.... comments are good but u the only one that has to see the eye for yourself by doing all this and school and reading is the real source. you wanna create your own masterpiece, everyone has their own style of doing things but following simple photography rules will get u to have your own style according u abide by them ... tips are great. ok heres my opinion, since u say u are new the photo  looks simple for starters and thats natural being u are new, its a great start , the poles look interesting gives the photo drama. i like the silhouette but wat concerns me is that it is borderline like mentioned before but its a start, and reading books on this helps. but for professional u gotta nail it right on the dot. right now its just simple starting work and its great. we all been there in your shoes and the magic is when u one day u go back and compare your first starting photos to the professional ones u will later have. thats magic !

10 years 3 months ago #336709 by Stealthy Ninja
Where was your focus point?

I think the poles on the right should have been the focus point and then everything in the background (assuming you shot this at something like f/11) would fall into focus because of the hyperfocal distance.

As it is, the poles etc. seem a little soft.

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024