Best focal length for PORTRAITS

10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #293206 by PhotographyTalk

10 years 4 months ago #325373 by vuladams
I thought this was going to be helpful to view, but it wasn't really. Sorry. I've been trying to decide between two lenses: the 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 135mm f/2 DC. I don't mind moving so the zoom capabilities aren't critical for me. I love prime lenses and find they produce a much better quality photo; however, the range is nice to have when I need it. Thanks for posting though.

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it." - Ansel Adams

vanessaadamsphotography.com/
www.facebook.com/VanessaAdamsPhotography

10 years 4 months ago #325409 by garyrhook
I would suggest looking at an 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.4.

That said, it's really about what you want to accomplish, and what fits your eye and vision. I love my f/2.8 tele and get lots of good work done with it. But I would like an 85mm prime as well. The Nikon f/1.8 is only $500 and highly regarded. And an 85 is a nice compromise between a zoom lens and zooming with your feet.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #325969 by KCook
I agree with Gary. The 135 would be sweet for a full frame body. But for a crop body it's getting kind of long, except for outdoor portraits.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 4 months ago #326293 by Stealthy Ninja
Depends if you'll need to keep the shutter speed at your camera's sync speed (using flashes/strobes) or not. If you do then you'll probably be shooting stopped down to at LEAST F/8. So prime vs zoom is irrelevant.

The Canon and Nikon 70-200 2.8 II (VR II or IS II) lenses are both very sharp and will match most primes at 2.8. So if you don't need to go faster than f/2.8 then zoom vs prime is also a moot point.

Now, if you can and will shoot faster than 2.8, then a prime is your best bet. Then I'd for for something between 85 - 135 for a full frame body. I like 85mm myself.

On a crop you can get a 50 1.8 (if you want something cheap) and this will make you step back to 85mm ff distances to get a similar perspective distortion. Personally I wouldn't use 50mm on FF for portraits but YMMV.

If you want to play it safe, get an 85 1.8G (Nikon) this lens is amazing for the price. VERY amazing. For Canon go for the Sigma 85 1.4 or perhaps the Canon 85 1.8. The Canon 85 1.8 is OK, but the Sigma is better. I personally have a Zeiss 85 1.4, which is a very nice MANUAL FOCUS portrait lens. Not the sharpest in the world, but it renders a really nice image that's sharp enough (with an ever so slight glow) so it's a really good portrait lens actually because of the way it "draws" faces.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024