Marumi vs Hoya polarized filters

6 years 3 weeks ago #575440 by Scott Klubeck
I can't seem to find my polarized filter and need a new one.   I've narrowed down my search to these two.  If you were going to pick up a new polarized filter, which would you get: Marumi vs Hoya?

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575565 by Francis
Marumi is a much better built filter in my opinion.  I've had 2 Hoya filters over the years fall apart on me.  

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575606 by garyrhook
Good to know. Turns out I'm going to be needing a 95mm CPL.

Photo Comments
6 years 2 weeks ago #575747 by ThatNikonGuy
What lens is that going on Gary?

Photo Comments
6 years 2 weeks ago #575796 by garyrhook

ThatNikonGuy wrote: What lens is that going on Gary?

A Nikon 200-500 f/5.6. It should arrive Saturday.

Here’s a shot from a concert 10 days ago, where I used a borrowed one. I’m happy enough with the results to want my own.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
6 years 2 weeks ago #575807 by Joe Peterson
Nice shots Gary.  

OP - good tip.   I agree Hoya's have some improvements needed.  I had a polarized filter that literally fell apart resulting in part of it being stuck on my 70-200mm.  It was such a PITA to get off!  

Photo Comments
6 years 2 weeks ago #575829 by Francis
Interesting.  Never heard of this filter brand.  What does the "EXUS" mean?  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/973418-REG/marumi_amxcpl77_77mm_exus_circular_polarizer.html

Gary where did you buy that lens from?  I ask because B&H has it for $1396 and Adorama has it for $1039.  Just in case you bought from B&H, you could save some bucks at Adorama.  

Nice lens BTW!

Photo Comments
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #575935 by garyrhook

Francis wrote: Gary where did you buy that lens from?  I ask because B&H has it for $1396 and Adorama has it for $1039.  Just in case you bought from B&H, you could save some bucks at Adorama.  

Nice lens BTW!

Used, US model, very good condition, on eBay, from a reputable vendor that isn't going to risk their rep for $1150.  I stupidly missed a "new, open box" offer, but this one is just as good. I've had very good luck with eBay. I won't buy gray market, so the cheap ones at Adorama, et. al., are a no-go. I only buy new if I must, but that's rare. My LensBaby Velvet 85, for example. I'll probably have to get my Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro new, too, when I get around to it.

Photo Comments
6 years 2 weeks ago #576406 by Ian Stone
Hey that is going to be a fun lens to have in the old camera bag.  Post up photos and your thoughts after you get it. 

OP:  Hoya has slipped in recent years.  I've not had any luck with  them myself. What it is, is the front brass ring that holds the front in place.  It's weak and doesn't hold well.  They really need to do something about the engineering.  

Photo Comments
6 years 1 week ago #577534 by Alfonso Camil
Helpful post, thank you

Photo Comments
4 weeks 1 day ago #762642 by Spirit Vision Photography
The Marumi DHG Super filters are every bit as good as the high end B+W filters. They are great. The DHG (non-Super) Marumi filters are excellent, they just lack the outer nano coating.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024