Lens Choice for Street and Candid Photography

2 years 1 week ago #735809 by Alochhaya
Hello friends and fellow photographers

This is for my son who is extremely interested in street and candid photography. He mainly uses my old D90 coupled with my AF-D 50mm lens or AF-S 55-200 Dx lens. Sometimes he uses my D7200 with the same lens. I am planning to gift him a lens for his photographic journey, and together we have short-listed the following.

AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.8 G ED
AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 G ED
AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G
AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G ED
AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D
20mm f/2.8 Nikkor

It would be a great help if the members here may comment on these lenses and point me to the best possible lens, keeping the price in mind.

Thank you all in advance.
2 years 1 week ago #735860 by r1ch

Alochhaya wrote: Hello friends and fellow photographers
This is for my son who is extremely interested in street and candid photography. He mainly uses my old D90 coupled with my AF-D 50mm lens or AF-S 55-200 Dx lens. Sometimes he uses my D7200 with the same lens. I am planning to gift him a lens for his photographic journey, and together we have short-listed the following.
AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G
AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D
20mm f/2.8 Nikkor

The two focal lengths associated with street photography are  35mm and 50mm    50 is also used more for portrait and is a little wide for street and 35 distorts the nose and facial features when shooting portrait closer, but work better for street.

You have neither of these focal lengths with your current lenses.

Always go for the widest aperture for most flexibility
If you want 35mm equivalent,(I would recommend this for street photography) I would go with the

AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 G ED  (30mm)  I would probably choose this one
AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.8 G ED  (38mm)

If you want a 50mm equivalent then
AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G ED (50mm) (has the narrowest Depth of Feild)

If I were you I would do research on these lenses and see which one has the best sharpness and over all image quality. and the least  lens defects like vignetting or chromatic aberration. Between these 3 choices.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alochhaya
2 years 6 days ago #735996 by Alochhaya
Thank you for your reply.

I did search o the net, but I could not find many reviews of these lenses and none are comparative reviews.

It seems that the 20mm should be the way to go as you have pointed out.

thanks again.
2 years 4 days ago #736112 by r1ch

Alochhaya wrote: Thank you for your reply.

I did search o the net, but I could not find many reviews of these lenses and none are comparative reviews.

It seems that the 20mm should be the way to go as you have pointed out.

thanks again.

Good luck.. Both lenses seem to have good reviews, 20 a little better maybe?
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-24mm-f1-8g
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-20mm-f1-8g-ed

Might I suggest the Sigma art  20mm 1.4 and the 24 1.4 around the same price.. Full frame lenses (in case he moves to a full frame camera, the only downside is that they are bigger and heavier.

1 year 10 months ago #738515 by lightcapture
I'd add the Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX lens to your consideration since he uses a DX camera.
It has gotten so many great review from everyone and it's very inexpensive.

Here's one such review.
www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm

And another comparison.
photographylife.com/nikon-35mm-f1-8g-vs-50mm-f1-4g

1 year 1 month ago #749364 by Spirit Vision Photography

Alochhaya wrote: Hello friends and fellow photographers

AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G
AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D
20mm f/2.8 Nikkor

It would be a great help if the members here may comment on these lenses and point me to the best possible lens, keeping the price in mind.

Thank you all in advance.

The 35 f/2 D, is perfect for street photography. Cheap too.

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024