Lens Choice for Street and Candid Photography

1 year 10 months ago #735809 by Alochhaya
Hello friends and fellow photographers

This is for my son who is extremely interested in street and candid photography. He mainly uses my old D90 coupled with my AF-D 50mm lens or AF-S 55-200 Dx lens. Sometimes he uses my D7200 with the same lens. I am planning to gift him a lens for his photographic journey, and together we have short-listed the following.

AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.8 G ED
AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 G ED
AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G
AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G ED
AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D
20mm f/2.8 Nikkor

It would be a great help if the members here may comment on these lenses and point me to the best possible lens, keeping the price in mind.

Thank you all in advance.
1 year 10 months ago #735860 by r1ch

Alochhaya wrote: Hello friends and fellow photographers
This is for my son who is extremely interested in street and candid photography. He mainly uses my old D90 coupled with my AF-D 50mm lens or AF-S 55-200 Dx lens. Sometimes he uses my D7200 with the same lens. I am planning to gift him a lens for his photographic journey, and together we have short-listed the following.
AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G
AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D
20mm f/2.8 Nikkor

The two focal lengths associated with street photography are  35mm and 50mm    50 is also used more for portrait and is a little wide for street and 35 distorts the nose and facial features when shooting portrait closer, but work better for street.

You have neither of these focal lengths with your current lenses.

Always go for the widest aperture for most flexibility
If you want 35mm equivalent,(I would recommend this for street photography) I would go with the

AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 G ED  (30mm)  I would probably choose this one
AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.8 G ED  (38mm)

If you want a 50mm equivalent then
AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G ED (50mm) (has the narrowest Depth of Feild)

If I were you I would do research on these lenses and see which one has the best sharpness and over all image quality. and the least  lens defects like vignetting or chromatic aberration. Between these 3 choices.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alochhaya
1 year 10 months ago #735996 by Alochhaya
Thank you for your reply.

I did search o the net, but I could not find many reviews of these lenses and none are comparative reviews.

It seems that the 20mm should be the way to go as you have pointed out.

thanks again.
1 year 10 months ago #736112 by r1ch

Alochhaya wrote: Thank you for your reply.

I did search o the net, but I could not find many reviews of these lenses and none are comparative reviews.

It seems that the 20mm should be the way to go as you have pointed out.

thanks again.

Good luck.. Both lenses seem to have good reviews, 20 a little better maybe?
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-24mm-f1-8g
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-20mm-f1-8g-ed

Might I suggest the Sigma art  20mm 1.4 and the 24 1.4 around the same price.. Full frame lenses (in case he moves to a full frame camera, the only downside is that they are bigger and heavier.

1 year 9 months ago #738515 by lightcapture
I'd add the Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX lens to your consideration since he uses a DX camera.
It has gotten so many great review from everyone and it's very inexpensive.

Here's one such review.
www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm

And another comparison.
photographylife.com/nikon-35mm-f1-8g-vs-50mm-f1-4g

1 year 3 days ago #749364 by Spirit Vision Photography

Alochhaya wrote: Hello friends and fellow photographers

AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G
AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D
20mm f/2.8 Nikkor

It would be a great help if the members here may comment on these lenses and point me to the best possible lens, keeping the price in mind.

Thank you all in advance.

The 35 f/2 D, is perfect for street photography. Cheap too.

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Zf is a retro-inspired full frame camera that offers modern technologies like a back-illuminated sensor and 4K/60p video capabilities. Is it worth the price, though? Let’s find out!

Feb 16, 2024

The Ricoh GR IIIx is a premium compact camera with capable photo and video specs and a size that makes it easy to carry. Is it the right option for you? Let’s find out!

Jan 24, 2024

The Sony a6700 is a compact, lightweight photographic powerhouse that offers top-shelf features and amenities at a good price. There’s more to the story, though; check it out in this review!

Jan 23, 2024

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro is an affordable cinema camera with a 21.2MP Super35 CMOS sensor and a host of features that make videography a simpler task.

Dec 26, 2023
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

There are many different steps you need to take to perfect your photography process. But how do you get started? Use this beginner’s guide to get headed in the right direction!

Feb 29, 2024

With these photography business tips for retaining clients, you’ll learn a few tricks of the trade for keeping clients for the long term, which will help you grow your business that much more.

Feb 27, 2024

While the Sony a6000 platform debuted a decade ago, it’s still a more than capable camera system for today’s needs. Check out its many benefits in this guide!

Feb 27, 2024

Though you might think of photo gifts as ideal for the holidays, they are a great option for so many events over the course of the year. Check out some of our favorite possibilities!

Feb 27, 2024

Black and white portrait photography can be a fun endeavor, but there are a few things you can do to make the results you get even better! Use this guide to get started on your journey!

Feb 23, 2024

The Canon RF 100mm macro lens is a great addition to your camera bag for a number of reasons, not the least of which is its excellent L-series build quality and reliability!

Feb 21, 2024

Minimalism photography is much more than composing a simple shot. You need to understand rules of composition, have the necessary gear, and practice a lot, too!

Feb 20, 2024

A photography exhibition requires a lot of planning, including making decisions about the images you use, their sizes, and how to display them. Get guidance on these and other decisions in this guide!

Feb 19, 2024