Lens Choice for Street and Candid Photography

2 months 3 weeks ago #735809 by Alochhaya
Hello friends and fellow photographers

This is for my son who is extremely interested in street and candid photography. He mainly uses my old D90 coupled with my AF-D 50mm lens or AF-S 55-200 Dx lens. Sometimes he uses my D7200 with the same lens. I am planning to gift him a lens for his photographic journey, and together we have short-listed the following.

AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.8 G ED
AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 G ED
AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G
AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G ED
AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D
20mm f/2.8 Nikkor

It would be a great help if the members here may comment on these lenses and point me to the best possible lens, keeping the price in mind.

Thank you all in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 weeks ago #735860 by r1ch

Alochhaya wrote: Hello friends and fellow photographers
This is for my son who is extremely interested in street and candid photography. He mainly uses my old D90 coupled with my AF-D 50mm lens or AF-S 55-200 Dx lens. Sometimes he uses my D7200 with the same lens. I am planning to gift him a lens for his photographic journey, and together we have short-listed the following.
AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.8 G ED
AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 G ED
AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G
AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G ED
AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D
20mm f/2.8 Nikkor

The two focal lengths associated with street photography are  35mm and 50mm    50 is also used more for portrait and is a little wide for street and 35 distorts the nose and facial features when shooting portrait closer, but work better for street.

You have neither of these focal lengths with your current lenses.

Always go for the widest aperture for most flexibility
If you want 35mm equivalent,(I would recommend this for street photography) I would go with the

AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 G ED  (30mm)  I would probably choose this one
AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.8 G ED  (38mm)

If you want a 50mm equivalent then
AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G ED (50mm) (has the narrowest Depth of Feild)

If I were you I would do research on these lenses and see which one has the best sharpness and over all image quality. and the least  lens defects like vignetting or chromatic aberration. Between these 3 choices.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alochhaya

2 months 2 weeks ago #735996 by Alochhaya
Thank you for your reply.

I did search o the net, but I could not find many reviews of these lenses and none are comparative reviews.

It seems that the 20mm should be the way to go as you have pointed out.

thanks again.

2 months 2 weeks ago #736112 by r1ch

Alochhaya wrote: Thank you for your reply.

I did search o the net, but I could not find many reviews of these lenses and none are comparative reviews.

It seems that the 20mm should be the way to go as you have pointed out.

thanks again.

Good luck.. Both lenses seem to have good reviews, 20 a little better maybe?
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-24mm-f1-8g
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-20mm-f1-8g-ed

Might I suggest the Sigma art  20mm 1.4 and the 24 1.4 around the same price.. Full frame lenses (in case he moves to a full frame camera, the only downside is that they are bigger and heavier.

1 month 3 days ago #738515 by lightcapture
I'd add the Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX lens to your consideration since he uses a DX camera.
It has gotten so many great review from everyone and it's very inexpensive.

Here's one such review.
www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm

And another comparison.
photographylife.com/nikon-35mm-f1-8g-vs-50mm-f1-4g

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Not every photo book is made alike. Some are superior to others because of the options you get. Learn what to look for in this guide.

Jun 28, 2022

What is the best camera in 2022? That's a loaded question whose answer depends on many factors. In this guide, we'll explore some great options!

Jun 22, 2022

GoPro accessories come in all shapes, sizes and price points. But which ones are the best? We offer our favorite picks in this 2022 guide.

Jun 22, 2022

Not sure how to grow your photography business? Check this beginner business guide to learn a few inside tricks to hit the ground running.

Jun 22, 2022

The Panasonic GH3 is an older camera, but despite its age, it has many specs and features that offer photographers a good experience in 2022.

Jun 22, 2022

If you're in the market for some Sony FE lenses for your kit, use this guide to learn more about three excellent prime and zoom lens options.

Jun 22, 2022

If you want to take the best close-up images, you'll need some macro photography lenses to get the clearest, sharpest photos.

Jun 21, 2022

What is a metal print? The easy answer is that it's an image printed on metal. But the best metal prints are a product of a more intricate process.

Jun 21, 2022