Lens Choice for Street and Candid Photography

2 years 3 months ago #735809 by Alochhaya
Hello friends and fellow photographers

This is for my son who is extremely interested in street and candid photography. He mainly uses my old D90 coupled with my AF-D 50mm lens or AF-S 55-200 Dx lens. Sometimes he uses my D7200 with the same lens. I am planning to gift him a lens for his photographic journey, and together we have short-listed the following.

AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.8 G ED
AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 G ED
AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G
AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G ED
AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D
20mm f/2.8 Nikkor

It would be a great help if the members here may comment on these lenses and point me to the best possible lens, keeping the price in mind.

Thank you all in advance.
2 years 3 months ago #735860 by r1ch

Alochhaya wrote: Hello friends and fellow photographers
This is for my son who is extremely interested in street and candid photography. He mainly uses my old D90 coupled with my AF-D 50mm lens or AF-S 55-200 Dx lens. Sometimes he uses my D7200 with the same lens. I am planning to gift him a lens for his photographic journey, and together we have short-listed the following.
AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G
AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D
20mm f/2.8 Nikkor

The two focal lengths associated with street photography are  35mm and 50mm    50 is also used more for portrait and is a little wide for street and 35 distorts the nose and facial features when shooting portrait closer, but work better for street.

You have neither of these focal lengths with your current lenses.

Always go for the widest aperture for most flexibility
If you want 35mm equivalent,(I would recommend this for street photography) I would go with the

AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 G ED  (30mm)  I would probably choose this one
AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.8 G ED  (38mm)

If you want a 50mm equivalent then
AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G ED (50mm) (has the narrowest Depth of Feild)

If I were you I would do research on these lenses and see which one has the best sharpness and over all image quality. and the least  lens defects like vignetting or chromatic aberration. Between these 3 choices.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alochhaya
2 years 3 months ago #735996 by Alochhaya
Thank you for your reply.

I did search o the net, but I could not find many reviews of these lenses and none are comparative reviews.

It seems that the 20mm should be the way to go as you have pointed out.

thanks again.
2 years 3 months ago #736112 by r1ch

Alochhaya wrote: Thank you for your reply.

I did search o the net, but I could not find many reviews of these lenses and none are comparative reviews.

It seems that the 20mm should be the way to go as you have pointed out.

thanks again.

Good luck.. Both lenses seem to have good reviews, 20 a little better maybe?
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-24mm-f1-8g
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-20mm-f1-8g-ed

Might I suggest the Sigma art  20mm 1.4 and the 24 1.4 around the same price.. Full frame lenses (in case he moves to a full frame camera, the only downside is that they are bigger and heavier.

2 years 1 month ago #738515 by lightcapture
I'd add the Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX lens to your consideration since he uses a DX camera.
It has gotten so many great review from everyone and it's very inexpensive.

Here's one such review.
www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm

And another comparison.
photographylife.com/nikon-35mm-f1-8g-vs-50mm-f1-4g

1 year 5 months ago #749364 by Spirit Vision Photography

Alochhaya wrote: Hello friends and fellow photographers

AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G
AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 D
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D
20mm f/2.8 Nikkor

It would be a great help if the members here may comment on these lenses and point me to the best possible lens, keeping the price in mind.

Thank you all in advance.

The 35 f/2 D, is perfect for street photography. Cheap too.

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024