harsh sunlight

13 years 2 months ago #30674 by Be Mine 4ever
I am shooting outdoors both portraits and nature. I would like some advice on what filter to buy to tone down the harsh sunlight in these pictures and balance the light better. I know it's a got to be a ND of some sort, but all the numbers and letters attached to filters mean nothing to me. Can someone please explain the filter rating system to me and how I can use it to buy the correct filter?

13 years 2 months ago #30677 by Cappy
you might try setting up some kind of canopy. take a cheap white sheet and set it up as a kind of canopy. it will diffuse the very harsh light that you'll get shooting in the middle of the day. As far as filters to lessen the harshness of the sun, I don't know.

13 years 2 months ago #30679 by Be Mine 4ever

Cappy wrote: you might try setting up some kind of canopy. take a cheap white sheet and set it up as a kind of canopy. it will diffuse the very harsh light that you'll get shooting in the middle of the day. As far as filters to lessen the harshness of the sun, I don't know.

Thanks for responding, yeah, I thought about a canopy, but dragging a canopy through the woods doesn't make too much sense. I was hoping for an easier way out with a filter. Thanks.

13 years 2 months ago #30680 by LL Jazz
The first filter you should get is a polarizer. It cuts the reflections on all non-metallic surfaces that can fool your meter, then look into an ND filter if you shoot a lot of landscape.

13 years 2 months ago #30682 by Barry
I guess a polarizer would be handy to have, but it's not going to do anything to tone down hard midday shadows, which is essentially what your problem is going to be. You need some way to diffuse the light. Diffuse light is sooo much more appealing for portraits than, say, the sun or a bare bulb.

13 years 2 months ago #30688 by Alex
California Sunbounce makes these white diffusers canopies that can be hand held or used on a stand. Technically they have (2) 4x6' and 6x8', you know what? I might have the wrong size's.... either way they are big, but easy to set up and use. These would work perfect for what you are looking to accomplish. These will turn the suns harsh light into some nice diffused soft light. While at the Vegas WPPI show I had the opportunity to see these guys and saw first hand some of their goodies.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #32419 by Tuscany

Alex wrote: California Sunbounce makes these white diffusers canopies that can be hand held or used on a stand. Technically they have (2) 4x6' and 6x8', you know what? I might have the wrong size's.... either way they are big, but easy to set up and use. These would work perfect for what you are looking to accomplish. These will turn the suns harsh light into some nice diffused soft light. While at the Vegas WPPI show I had the opportunity to see these guys and saw first hand some of their goodies.

Don't these need a extra person to hold them or will a stand of some sort work?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #32423 by Nod
The handiest ND filter (which is what you need for the situation that you're talking about) is a 3 stop filter. In the Tiffen brand this is a .09, and in Hoya it is a .8 Either one of these will do what your looking for. A polarizer filter is only good when the sun is at 90 degree angles to you( or a little less). Get the ND and you'll be happy !

13 years 1 month ago #32425 by Yasko
ND and Polarizers are great for landscapes. A must have if you want to get into serious landscape shooting.

They won't help much with portraits though. For that you'll need diffusers if you're shooting mid-day in harsh sunlight. Alex mentioned California Sunbounce canopies. They make good light modification products, as do a lot of other companies.

13 years 1 month ago #32435 by chasrich
I'm listening intensely to this subject as summer is coming to Florida with lots of sunshine. I've orders some filters that include a FLD. Here is what I know of this filter...

FLD Filters
A FLD filter (fluorescent light correction) provides the perfect solution for obtaining pleasing skin tones and correct color while shooting without a flash under fluorescent lighting. This filter gives true-to-life color rendition by removing the harsh yellow-green cast ordinarily resulting from fluorescent bulbs. When shooting under natural light, a fluorescent filter dramatically increases color saturation of subjects such as sunrises and sunsets.

Does this filter have a use in the harsh sunlight environment?

Thanks for the tips posted above. You guys have me on a pretty steep learning curve.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #32446 by turtle
Perhaps I'm reading this different from others, but I don't think filters are going to solve the kind of problem you're describing. Harsh lighting looks harsh for one major reason, shadows. There are a few ways to help out, but none work as well as waiting for the light to soften or moving to partial shade.

The first method is to use a diffusion screen to bounce additional light into the shadows of the face & even out shadows.

The second method is to use fill flash, pref with a bounce like Stofen.

Using one or both of these methods, the next trick is to properly meter the subject (such as their face). If you meter the entire scene, a very bright background may make the subject appear darker than they should (like a snow scene would). Try using partial or center weight metering for the subject. You could TRY spot metering, but since it is such a small area to meter, shadows may still be a problem.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #32480 by Stealthy Ninja
Umm... how about not shooting in harsh sunlight... derp. :toocrazy:

Flash or reflector to fill in shadows (portraits)
Grad ND filter and/or circular polariser for landscapes.

Or...wait till sunset (or get up for sunrise) for softer/more beautiful light... :whistle:
13 years 1 month ago #32497 by Baydream
As far as your question about ND filters, here is a guide

Neutral Density factors:
ND .10 (exposure adjustment = 1/3 stop)
ND .20 (exposure adjustment = 2/3 stop)
ND .30 (exposure adjustment = 1 stop)
ND .40 (exposure adjustment = 1 1/3 stops)
ND .50 (exposure adjustment = 1 2/3 stops)
ND .60 (exposure adjustment = 2 stops)
ND .70 (exposure adjustment = 2 1/3 stops)
ND .80 (exposure adjustment = 2 2/3stops)
ND .90 (exposure adjustment = 3 stops)

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #32694 by Joves
Well you really need the canopy/diffuser which is what it is. You can make one easily with PVC pipe and ;ight gauge white whindbreaker material. You can make it any size you like and the best part is you can break it down for compactness and lightness.

13 years 1 month ago #32715 by Yasko

chasrich wrote: I'm listening intensely to this subject as summer is coming to Florida with lots of sunshine. I've orders some filters that include a FLD. Here is what I know of this filter...

FLD Filters
A FLD filter (fluorescent light correction) provides the perfect solution for obtaining pleasing skin tones and correct color while shooting without a flash under fluorescent lighting. This filter gives true-to-life color rendition by removing the harsh yellow-green cast ordinarily resulting from fluorescent bulbs. When shooting under natural light, a fluorescent filter dramatically increases color saturation of subjects such as sunrises and sunsets.

Does this filter have a use in the harsh sunlight environment?

Thanks for the tips posted above. You guys have me on a pretty steep learning curve.

Never use a FLD in normal daylight, especially if you're shooting people. It'll make them overly magenta/orange. You don't need any color correction filters when shooting normal daylight, with exception of perhaps the sunrise/sunsets, but expect some REALLY warm colors in the sky.

Incidentally, a FLD filter isn't needed these days at all now that we're shooting digital. Digitals have pretty decent white balance compensation built in. I used to use FLD's when shooting indoor with daylight balanced film. I haven't touched them in years now.

The following user(s) said Thank You: chasrich

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024