brand quality

13 years 2 weeks ago #42942 by D Thompson
I have just stepped into the digital SLR world with a used Nikon D40.

I figured since Im going to be experimenting with this camera I might as well buy a couple of lenses and filters. (or maybe not ) Needless to say I was looking through all the ebay stuff and was wondering if any of these brands is even worth it.

Bower
Mercury
Crystal Optics

I was thinking about getting an add on wide angle lens and some filters. Would any of these brands be worth it?

13 years 2 weeks ago #42943 by Puter
Would love to help you, but I am also fairly new to photography. So all I can say is.. buy the best.

13 years 2 weeks ago #42944 by D Thompson
Yea but I don't know what the best is.

13 years 2 weeks ago #42945 by bcap fish
Personally, I wouldn't bother with any of that junk.

Just use the camera and the lens that you have. It will be much harder to discover the potential of the gear you have, if you add crappy accesories to it.

13 years 2 weeks ago #42963 by Screamin Scott
Those brands are not worth the money...Save up & get true lenses, not these "screw on to your existing lens" accessories

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 2 weeks ago #42990 by photobod
You own a Nikon, so buy Nikon, it makes sense, there are plenty of Nikon products to buy second hand. :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 2 weeks ago #43146 by Stealthy Ninja

photobod wrote: You own a Nikon, so buy Nikon, it makes sense, there are plenty of Nikon products to buy second hand. :thumbsup:

True, but Sigma make some fine lenses for Nikon. Namely the 50 1.4 and the 85 1.4. Both IMHO are better (and cheaper) than their nikon counterparts.
13 years 2 weeks ago #43181 by McBeth Photography
Personally I would get the AF-s Nikkor 35mm f1.8 DX for the first prime, and the least expensive, then start looking at a few others later. Because of the 1.5 crop factor on the D40, the 35mm comes in at the equivelant of 52.5mm on a film body which is a "normal" perspective lens. A lot of good photographers consider the normal lens to be a must.

IMHO, Focus on getting skills first, learn the camera settings, get a tripod, get a flash, and then get the next lens after you get some experience and you will save yourself a little money by waiting until you know what you need for your style of photography.

It is what it is.
13 years 2 weeks ago #43192 by Joves
Well if you are looking at those because of price, then the reason they are cheap is they are inferiror on quality. With that said there are some adequate copies of those but it is so hit and miss it is like winning the lottery to get a good one. You could go to say KEH and look to the used side of things to save money. Their Bargain lenses BGNs are very clean and actually look like some peoples Goods or Excellents. I have never got a bad lens from them. www.keh.com/

13 years 2 weeks ago #43195 by McBeth Photography

Joves wrote: Well if you are looking at those because of price, then the reason they are cheap is they are inferiror on quality. With that said there are some adequate copies of those but it is so hit and miss it is like winning the lottery to get a good one. You could go to say KEH and look to the used side of things to save money. Their Bargain lenses BGNs are very clean and actually look like some peoples Goods or Excellents. I have never got a bad lens from them. www.keh.com/

:agree:

It is what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024