Auto focus for Lensbaby Composer? Normal aperture for one?

13 years 2 weeks ago #43203 by Casey T
I just love this thing. But why such a manual lens? Why no auto focus or normal aperture that you don't have to manually swap in and out? Granted the size would get bigger, but would make it more fun.

My Passion is being behind my camera and my family.
Photo Comments
13 years 2 weeks ago #43214 by Stealthy Ninja

Casey T wrote: I just love this thing. But why such a manual lens? Why no auto focus or normal aperture that you don't have to manually swap in and out? Granted the size would get bigger, but would make it more fun.

Probably because those "lenses" are about making your picture look all blurry and sucky looking. :whistle:
13 years 2 weeks ago #43215 by Casey T

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Casey T wrote: I just love this thing. But why such a manual lens? Why no auto focus or normal aperture that you don't have to manually swap in and out? Granted the size would get bigger, but would make it more fun.

Probably because those "lenses" are about making your picture look all blurry and sucky looking. :whistle:

Awww, well I like mine :whistle: Yeah it's a specialty lens, I know. :P But seriously why no auto focus or normal apertures?

My Passion is being behind my camera and my family.
Photo Comments
13 years 2 weeks ago - 13 years 2 weeks ago #43220 by Stealthy Ninja

Casey T wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Awww, well I like mine :whistle: Yeah it's a specialty lens, I know. :P But seriously why no auto focus or normal apertures?

I hate to say it (well I do actually LOVE to say it, but I'm being polite):

Lensbaby = Toy.

Fun to play with, but not for serious work.

Of course the usual: IMHO YMMV etc. ;)

Oh and to answer your question. If they put all that stuff into it, it would cost a lot more and people would complain a lot. They're not suppose to be a serious tool, so they don't put serious work into making them function great.

BTW if you like it and like the effect it gives, that's totally cool with me. :)

OH and they one you're talking about is a "tilt" lens AF isn't a feature of tilt lenses. Even the pro-versions are MF, I think it's too hard to get the elements to move (autofocus) properly. As for aperture. The contacts and chips would make it too expensive for a fun lens (I didn't say "toy", I'm being nice).

Now I've been mean, here's a banana:
:banana:
13 years 2 weeks ago #43223 by crystal

The point to the manual focus and the aperture rings is the creative side of the lensbaby. You can buy different shape aperture rings. They don't need to be round, like they are, they can be star to give a star affect.
13 years 1 week ago #43230 by D-Artworks
Because of the nature of the lensbaby, you need to be able to control manually the area that you want sharp and soft. I have the original lensbaby and love it, but it is rough to use.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024