I would like to get another lens, but I don't know what..

13 years 6 days ago #46848 by Jessica Photography
My camera came with the 18-55, but it lack quality, so I threw it away when I bought the 50mm. So now I'm like I want another lens. The 50mm is doing me well, but I want more reach, a zoom lens, but I don't know what to buy. Right now I am just taking pictures of anything that crosses my path. So what is a good overall zoom lens to have?

13 years 6 days ago #46878 by Zardoz
I think you would be happy with something in the 70-300 range. It is a lens that I use allot, it is great for portraits, casual bird/nature shots. They are fairly cheap.

13 years 6 days ago #47101 by Joves
Depends on what you are shooting really. You could get the 70-300VR and you want the VR version the non-VRs suck. then there is the 70-200VR. Really it depends upon your budget for the new glass. You could go used at KEH I see they have several there. And there is a link to them at the bottom of the forum page.

13 years 6 days ago #47176 by ericpg
Try renting different focal length zooms to see which one suits your shooting style before dropping hard earned cash on something you may not like.

Eric

13 years 4 days ago #47710 by CarusoPhoto
I second the suggestion to try various lenses by renting them. It's so difficult to suggest the "best" lens for someone when one doesn't know what the shooter's needs and preferences are. I love living in the small focal lengths, so for me, the best zoom is a wide angle one. For other shooters, a 70-200 is perfect. For others, an ultra tele is perfect-- yet these all have very different uses, positives, and negatives.

13 years 4 days ago #47720 by chasrich
I went with a 18-270mm Tamron lens. I just love it for the big zoom range it has but I want a little more reach for my wildlife encounters. I'm looking at a 200-500mm that I think will work for me. After that I want something to shoot maco with so it will be back to shopping for a different lens for that purpose. As was mentioned above it depends of what your intended use is going to be.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 4 days ago #47723 by bhowdy
Canon's 70-200 lenses are considered one of the holy grail items to have in any Canon shooter's bag. The 70-200 f/4 IS is a great lens that is much less expensive than the f/2.8. BUT if you can afford it the Canon 70-200f/2.8L IS (version II) is flat out an incredible lens.

You can also pick up a 70-200 f/2.8 version I pretty reasonable too. I would suggest that either way that you go to get an IS (image stabilized) lens.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024