pinhole lenses

13 years 2 days ago #53337 by fluff
Are there pinhole lenses in the digital world?

13 years 2 days ago #53379 by JV 06
I don't think so.

13 years 2 days ago #53454 by icepics
I have a couple of pinhole body caps, but I'm not sure if they're still being made. I bought mine made by Finney Field Camera second hand. Found something on DP Review from a few years ago, you could try searching for something more current www.dpreview.com . Apparently digital pinhole is do-able. Or you could try www.mrpinhole.com or www.alternativephotography.com for some resources.

Sharon
Photo Comments
13 years 1 day ago - 13 years 1 day ago #53743 by Henry Peach
I've made several pinhole bodycaps. I take a body cap and drill a 1/2" hole in the center. Then I take a pinhole (in a small piece of metal) I scavenged from one of my old film pinhole cameras, and tape it over the hole.

It's pretty neat. I like to shoot my pinhole DSLR handheld. The meter is useless, so I just take test shots until I get it figured out. The photos are soft, low contrast, and wacky, so I usually go ahead and shoot raw at very high ISOs. Then in processing I can stretch the histogram out and adjust color to something that looks nicer than what I saw on the LCD.

For me one of the problems with pinhole DSLRs is the long focal length. If you are using an APS-C format DSLR the focal length is like 70mm-ish. Even on 35mm DSLRs it's still longer than the wide angle pinhole shooting I enjoyed with my DIY film pinhole cameras. fortunately folks have been working on this problem, and now you can buy pinhole body caps that are recessed to give you a shorter focal length (wide angle).

wanderlustcameras.com/products/pinwide.html

Another interesting technique is to make a pinhole camera obscura that is large enough to hold the camera. A camera obscura is a box or room that works like a simple camera, but just projects the image on to a wall rather than a sensor, paper, or film. The camera is set up inside so it can photograph the projected image. This is how to get pinhole photos from digital cameras that don't have interchangeable lenses.
13 years 19 hours ago #54116 by icepics
Fascinating. Leonardo DaVinci in the digital world. That would work with any camera w/out interchangeable lenses wouldn't it?

'The meter is useless...' I've found that applies to film cameras sometimes too! - plenty of times I just wing it. I just tried pinhole for the first time on Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day (or week this year) . No viewfinder (I made one), no lens... well, unless you consider a pinhole a lens; a magnet or a twist of the cardboard for a lenscap.
www.pinholeday.org .

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #55081 by icepics
Well Henry, you aren't alone in making your own... saw on the WPPD facebook page a couple of people posted about how they made their own. They look pretty much like the pinhole body caps I got. Seem to be people shooting pinhole photos with film and/or digital cameras (and ones made out of Spam cans.)

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024