Sigma Lens??

12 years 11 months ago #56883 by PSmitch0012
I am just looking at lens prices and I noticed the sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 Auto focus lenses are pretty cheap..

decent starter lens?? yes no? I know you get what you paid for. just trying to get a feel for what a good lens is... I know "L" lenses are better... but I dont have that kind of money haha

12 years 11 months ago #56884 by Chas
if you've got a low budget, then yes, its a decent lens.

12 years 11 months ago #56886 by Time Cut
those lower level lenses are never outstanding, but they are good places to start as they don't put a lot of pressure on the budget and yet offer a lot of features - letting you play around and see what you do and don't need.

12 years 11 months ago #57094 by Nod
I had a Sigma 70-300 (cheap one) that I bought in 2006 for my 35mm camera, used it a LOT, and then when I got my DSLR, I used it on it a LOT (thousands of shots). The gears finally stripped just about a month ago but I can still use in in manual. It was/is a pretty good lens and it was fairly sharp at 300. I'm going to replace with the tamron 70-300 though, but those run about $450 but I've heard that it is a bit better than the cheaper Sigma. I have other Sigma lens that are perfectly fine. If you can't afford much try the Sigma or take a look at www.KEH.com for a better used lens. They have some good deals there. Good luck!

12 years 11 months ago #57120 by chasrich
I have been using a Tamron 18-270mm lens. I just love it. A week ago I got a Sigma 50-500mm lens and I find the quality is pretty much the same between the two. Like any gear - it is only as good as the man on the shutter. Unless it's Lori... :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #57725 by No Show
I will always shoot Sigma, great lens and great company. Can't hurt that their prices are fair too :beerbang:

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #57851 by greenscrapcat
I am new here, but totally agree. I also have this lens, have had it for about 3 years and have taken thousands of photos with it. I love it!

Sheila
12 years 11 months ago #58311 by Yasko
I have yet to see a 70-300 lens of any make under 600 bucks that gets sharp results in the 200-300mm range.

The sigma will give good results 70-200mm range, just don't expect much in the way of build quality.

12 years 11 months ago #58430 by Henry Peach
I don't own that Sigma lens, but I've been very happy with the ones I do.
12 years 11 months ago #58441 by photobod
Sigma are a very reputable company, I have one sigma lens a 24-200 and it gives great results, I would take a look at a few used lens and see if you can find something there.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #60387 by Joves
I have had a couple of Sigmas but I sold them and changed them for Nikon glass. The one non- manufacturer lens I was surprised by was the Tamron XR Di 28-300 it actually produced some good images at the long range. They now make a VR or whatever they call it. You could look at that one as well if budget is a concern. If you havent been to KEH you might see what they have available. I have picked up quite a few BGN lenses that are in great shape. THere is a link to them at the bottom of the forum page.

12 years 11 months ago #60405 by Stealthy Ninja
IMHO the Sigma 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 match or better the Nikon/Canon versions (well Canon's is 85 1.2 or 85 1.8... the Sigma obviously can't go to 1.2, but it's cheaper and performs really well).

Only thing is, often the 50 1.4 needs calibration. Still very good lens.
12 years 11 months ago #60412 by Screamin Scott
I've got some Sigma lenses that are pretty nice...A 24mm F2.8 AF & an AF 21-35mm F3.5-F4.2. Both are super sharp..The zoom flares when light sources are too near the frame & the 24mm is a bit noisy when focusing, but optically they are very sharp lenses. Build quality may be a tad under Nikon glass, but price wise, they can't be beat.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024