extending my 70-300 lens

12 years 11 months ago #60693 by Cays Cove
Is there anything I can do to extend my 70-300mm lens without buying a new lense? Or How can I zoom in more with what I have?

12 years 11 months ago #60695 by Riggs
Yes, teleconverters. Without, you can't extend the reach of your lens.

12 years 11 months ago #60701 by Cays Cove
Teleconverters? What is that?

12 years 11 months ago #60703 by Riggs
Teleconverters are attachments that extend the amount of reach your zoom lens has. They can multiply your zoom by 1.4, making 100mm of focal length now 140mm.

12 years 11 months ago #60705 by Cays Cove

Riggs wrote: Teleconverters are attachments that extend the amount of reach your zoom lens has. They can multiply your zoom by 1.4, making 100mm of focal length now 140mm.

Awesome, I think that is what I want.

12 years 11 months ago #60706 by chasrich
Teleconverters come in two types... One screws onto the filter end of the lens. Ranges can vary but typically it can double the length of the lens. Image quality drops off a lot so use caution with this type.

The second type is a extension that fits between the lens and the camera body. This tends to be a bit more expensive but better results are expected. This too will typically double the length in addition it will be usable with all of your lenses.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #60818 by Nod
I'd recommend the TC that attaches to your camera. Do not get a cheap one or you'll just be wasting your money. Remember, you will lose a few stops with a TC so you may lose AF unless your shooting in bright lighting. Take a look on B&H"s web site and read about them. You can get a 2 x also, but again it will cost you a couple of stops.

12 years 11 months ago #60857 by knit4u

Riggs wrote: Yes, teleconverters. Without, you can't extend the reach of your lens.

I've heard that teleconverters can not fit on all lenses. Is this true?

12 years 11 months ago #61234 by robbie

knit4u wrote:

Riggs wrote: Yes, teleconverters. Without, you can't extend the reach of your lens.

Yep that`s true.They are brand specific.Some Nikon TC will not work on some Nikon lenses.
The Kenko Pro TC quality is great.

12 years 11 months ago #61242 by Zardoz
Another good idea is to read the reviews of the different TC that you are thinking of, I tried one out and did not like it, but I will find the one that works best with the lens that I want it too.

12 years 11 months ago #61258 by Screamin Scott
There was just another thread about this recently...Scroll down as I posted a link as to what current TC's will work with which lenses (Nikon that is)

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...on-17x-teleconverter

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #61260 by Screamin Scott
Steph,
If your 70-300 is a Nikkor lens (made by Nikon), it won't work with any of the Nikon TC's listed in that link. You will be limited to 3rd party converters, so be careful to make sure they will work before buying one...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #61264 by Zardoz

Screamin Scott wrote: Steph,
If your 70-300 is a Nikkor lens (made by Nikon), it won't work with any of the Nikon TC's listed in that link. You will be limited to 3rd party converters, so be careful to make sure they will work before buying one...

That is interesting I would have thought that it would work with my two longish lenses, they must believe that TC are only going on really serious lenses. My 70-300 is the only lens that came with the camera, and I really like it allot.

12 years 11 months ago #61276 by Screamin Scott

Zardoz wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: Steph,

That is interesting I would have thought that it would work with my two longish lenses, they must believe that TC are only going on really serious lenses. My 70-300 is the only lens that came with the camera, and I really like it allot.

Unless your 70-300 is the VR model, all of the Nikon TC's cost more than your lens. If it is the VR zoom, then most of them cost more than your lens...They are geared to the pro model lenses

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #61365 by Joves

knit4u wrote:

Well they will fit if they are for the camera make. BUT! And this is a big one they may not allow Auto Focus and other functions. If you have the variable Aperture lenses then this will be the case for Nikon and Canon I believe. But there are the Kenko Tele-Converters will work with these lenses fully. If you choose to buy one dont go cheap, you want the Pro models and I would only use a 1.4x even though they are available up to 2 and 3x. The 2 and 3x degrade image quality terribly also so do all of the 1.7x that I have tried.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024