What lens size should I use for Macro

12 years 11 months ago #60755 by knit4u
What lens size should I use for Macro? I would like to get into macro photography, but not sure what size lens to get.

12 years 11 months ago #60757 by Carmin
There are a wide range of "macro" lenses. Your choice of subject matter and style dictate. There is no one answer.

12 years 11 months ago #61367 by Joves
Since you have a Nikon D80 I can suggest either the 60mm Micro or the 105 Micro. Not only are they good at macro but a good all around lenses.

12 years 11 months ago #61426 by Screamin Scott
For static subjects the shorter focal length macros between 50-60mm will work just fine. They will also handle larger butterflies without too much of a problem. If you want to shoot smaller insects or other skittish subjects, then look for a 90mm or longer focal length. Remember though that the longer the focal length, the higher the price.You also need to consider what else you may want to use the lens for. Bear in mind that AF & VR (or IS in the case of Canon) become ineffective the closer you get to life size. Once you get past 1/2 life size, you start noticing problems with focusing. That being the case, you might consider an older macro lens MF or AF to keep costs down. the longer focal length lenses on a crop camera night be of limited usefulness as you will need more distance from your subject if & when you use them for general shooting.I shoot Nikon & I use older manual focus lenses from my film days. My main lens is a Lester Dine 105mm F2.8 (considered a "cult classic". My camera won't meter with this lens, but that is easily overcome when shooting most types of photography although it is not exactly convenient for some people ( I am used to shooting this way). I just started a group here on PT called MacroManiacs (since I am a macro nut)...You are welcome to join. Hope to get it going full steam here shortly.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #61389 by cod
As mentioned above it depends partly on what you intend to photograph. A significant factor to consider is working distance, i.e. how close the front of the lens needs to be to the subject. The longer the focal length of the lens the longer the working distance.

If you are planning to photograph insects or plants in the garden/wild I would definitely opt for a longer focal length, at least 90-105 mm, but preferably 150 - 200 mm, for several reasons.
  • Many bugs will not usually let you get too close to them. With a longer focal length you don't have to get as close as with, say a 60mm. Even so, it can be difficult to get close enough. We are talking a couple of feet as opposed to 6 or 8 inches here for 1:1 images.
  • If you are using a tripod, as many macro photgraphers do, a longer working distance makes it easier to adjust the tripod position without disturbing vegetation and the subject.
  • A really short focal length, 50-60mm, can sometimes result in you and your camera blocking light since you are so close to the subject.
  • The narrower field of view of the longer focal lengths make it easier to control the background behind you subject.

If your intended subject is small objects indoors, something around 60mm might work, but you are still operating very close to your subject and want to consider space for a tripod and lighting sight lines.

I would not personally suggest a 60mm macro lens. I would suggest something in the 90-105mm range for general macro work, or if you are going to specialize in outdoor bugs/plants etc, something in the 150-200mm range. Of course cost goes up significantly with focal length.

As for lens quality, it is difficult to find a bad macro lens. i have used a Tamron 90mm and a Nikon 200mm in the past. I currently use a Sigma 180mm. All have been excellent. Generally any macro lens from a recognized manufacturer is likely to be a good one.

Regards,
Chris

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024