UV protector

12 years 11 months ago #63319 by Mr. Borg
My camera kit came with 2 Tiffen brand UV protector/filters. I am sure they are the cheapies coming with the kit. Should I use these or not. I am sure it would be more for protection then anything. I am planning on getting lens hoods for my two lenses and figure they will do me more good then these. What do you think?

12 years 11 months ago #63321 by Becky pics
Lens hoods are good. They provide lens protection, improve the contrast of your images, and reduce problems with lens flare.

UV filters when they shatter become shards that can gouge your lens objective. The extra air gap promotes lens flare, they don't add to image contrast and if you prang the filter threading ring with a UV attached it can make removing the UV filter from your lens very difficult.

12 years 11 months ago #63327 by Cyber geek
Your best bet is to try them out in different lighting conditions. Harsh sunlight is probably the best test for loosing image quality, introducing flare, ghosting, etc.

12 years 11 months ago #63349 by Mr. Borg
So I should just throw out the UV filters and buy a lens hood.

12 years 11 months ago #75439 by TheNissanMan
Should I/shouldn't I use a filter is a whole bag of worms, some say there great, others useless. Personally I never use a UV filter and prefer hoods. The only time I would consider using a UV filter would be if I was shooting a subject where there was a chance of debris flying up and dmamaging the lens.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #76223 by Stealthy Ninja

TheNissanMan wrote: Should I/shouldn't I use a filter is a whole bag of worms, some say there great, others useless. Personally I never use a UV filter and prefer hoods. The only time I would consider using a UV filter would be if I was shooting a subject where there was a chance of debris flying up and dmamaging the lens.

This pretty much covers it.

Here's how I see protection filters.

1. They're not drop protection. Neither is a hood. A hood however has a better chance of stopping the FRONT of your lens getting damaged in a drop (IF it drops "head first"). A hood also offers bump protection. Which is more important to me (event photography).

2. They can help the seal of the lens. Some lenses need a filter to completely seal the leans (Canon 16-35 for example). So if you work/play in the rain or in a humid environment, then using one is a good idea.

3. A good one won't do any perceivable damage to your photos. 99% of the time having a high quality UV filter on the front of your lens isn't going to make your pictures suddenly suck. Of course not having a HOOD on the front will make your lens flare a lot more.

4. People will argue both ways and it will never end. I've heard all the arguments on both sides many time, fact is there's a place for UV protection and a place not to use them.

Personally I sometimes use them sometimes don't. My 50 1.4 doesn't have one on, and the 24-70 doesn't either. My 70-200 does have one on (and it give me the sharpest, most flare resistant images of all my lenses) and my XF300 (Video camera) has one on (for moisture sealing). I also use a hood on all my lenses.

If you do think you need one (dust/dirt/kids-fingers/dog-nose/salt-spray protection or for moisture sealing) then use the best one you can. If you don't think you need it for those things, then you don't need to bother. It's really up to you. The front element of the lens is pretty tough and can be replaced if really necessary.

Note: As said above, in a drop, a filter may shatter doing more damage to your lens, so if you're just using it for drop protection, then it's stupid and the advice to get a hood is a valid one.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024