Question about flashes

12 years 11 months ago #63445 by Amazing Grace
What is the difference between the flashes made by the manufacturer of your camera, and third party flash units? Are you paying for the name when it comes to flashes? Or is it like a quality lens where you get what you pay for? I know a lot of people swear away from third party anything, but I just don't get how the third party flashes can be SO MUCH cheaper than the name brands.

12 years 11 months ago #63457 by Martini
when you by a flash made by the same company as your camera, you know it's going to work with the TTL also you know it will automatically set the range through your camera, not to say the other flash won't to this, but it's more of a guarantee to go with your nikon name brand.

what do you intend to use this flash for, and will you ever get more than one?

12 years 11 months ago #63461 by Amazing Grace
I intend to use this flash to take photos of people, and get better light than the onboard unit. Pretty basic stuff, like using it inside for parties and stuff.

I don't PLAN to get more than one at this point.

12 years 11 months ago #63469 by Amazing Grace
How and where can I learn about all of this flash stuff?

12 years 11 months ago #63471 by Martini
strobist.blogspot.com/

A really good site to learn about flash.

12 years 11 months ago #63473 by Amazing Grace
Thank you so much for your help.

12 years 11 months ago #63477 by Screamin Scott
I've got both OEM & 3rd party lenses & flashes....There are lots of good quality 3rd party gear out there, just as you will find OEM junk...Manufacturers normally make different levels of quality in their products so be careful when comparing items that you are comparing "pro" lines to "pro" lines & not Pro to consumer grade lines....That said, OEM products normally have better quality control, meaning that there will be less sample variation with different pieces of the same product...It used to be OEM had better build quality, but that isn't always the case..Now with some items (like speedlights) the OEM will normally work better than 3rd party units in terms of supporting all of the functions provided with the camera.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024