Can I use a UV filter as a polarizer?

12 years 11 months ago #71849 by Trooo
I am pretty sure I already know the answer, but I thought I would ask. Would I be able to use a UV filter acting as a polarizer to enrich colors of the sky?

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #71865 by MLKstudios
It won't "polarize" the light, but can add a touch extra color. Best to NOT use a filter at all with digital cameras though (they tend to degrade the image -- use a lens hood instead).

It's very easy to boost your saturation in post if needed.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #72327 by Joves

MLKstudios wrote: It won't "polarize" the light, but can add a touch extra color. Best to NOT use a filter at all with digital cameras though (they tend to degrade the image -- use a lens hood instead).

It's very easy to boost your saturation in post if needed.

Matthew :)

:agree:
As Matthew said. UV filters are hold overs from the film days, they are sold at stores as lens protectors but they can introduce false coloration. I use Clears for lens protection but, not all of the time, being in N.Az on windy days the dust can get thick on everything and that is when I use them. Also modern sensors have UV filtration in their filters. If you want bluer skies then a Polarizer is what you need but use it sparingly because if you dial it in too deep they will look unnatural. Also dont go with the cheap ones they can vary in tone and effect wildly. You want the ones with Multi-Coatings to kill the reflections between the glass elements.

12 years 11 months ago #72331 by Stealthy Ninja
Can I use a sword as a gun?

Can I use a shoe as a glove?

Can I use a fork as a knife?
12 years 10 months ago #72355 by chasrich

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Can I use a sword as a gun?

With Ninjas anything is possible.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #72401 by Stealthy Ninja

chasrich wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Can I use a sword as a gun?

With Ninjas anything is possible.

Ninja Robot does not understand this human emotion... "love".
12 years 10 months ago #72493 by Graflex 4x5
If you can get the UV filter to act as a polarizer, you'd be twisting the laws of physics a bit .... and there's this planet in the Delta Quadrent I'd like to visit if you can lend a hand.

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but the sky is naturally polarized 90 d to the sun. If you slowly sweep the sky while looking through the view finder you can see what I mean. It's more pronounced on a sunny day.

Just something to think about.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024