Which portrait lens would you choose?

12 years 11 months ago #74291 by QueenB
I have a Nikon d90 and my husband wants to get me a good portrait lens for my birthday. I had been eye on the 50mm 1.8 lens. He has been talking to someone we know who works at a local camera shop and she suggested the 35mm 1.8 lens.

Which would you go with? I am just afraid the 35mm is too much for me, but I am not sure.

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
12 years 11 months ago #74297 by Jayyyyyyy
For portraits, usually longer is better....so I'd suggest the 50mm over the 30mm. Although, longer lenses are harder to work with then you are indoors and space is limited.

Longer lenses also help to give you that 'Shallow DOF' that you are looking for.

12 years 11 months ago #74299 by Stealthy Ninja
on a crop I'd go for one of these:

Sigma 50 1.4
Sigma 85 1.4

Try them out.
12 years 11 months ago #74307 by MLKstudios
The 50mm is better for portraits. A 35mm will let you work in tighter spaces, and the 85mm is the best for outdoor shots.

There are other choices that cost more, but these are the three you should start with. Combined cost under $1000, and can be used to make professional quality images.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #74337 by McBeth Photography
:agree:

50mm ...group shots and full length and 85mm for everything else. First priority I think would be the 50mm f1.8 or better yet 50mm f1.4.

It is what it is.
12 years 11 months ago #74341 by Nikonjan
I have the 50mm1.8 and have used it for portraits, it is very sharp and inexpensive. The other thing is our Nikons have a 1.5 mulitipler so the 50 turns out to be a 65mm with our sensors. Unless you get a full frame camera.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago #74361 by Stealthy Ninja

MLKstudios wrote: The 50mm is better for portraits. A 35mm will let you work in tighter spaces, and the 85mm is the best for outdoor shots.

Your style must be a wider style because 85 is fine indoors. Tonight I was using 340mm indoors. It depends on how tight you want to shoot. I often shoot 200mm indoors at 2.8 to get shots like this:

(first pic I found online BTW nothing special).
12 years 11 months ago #74363 by Silverphoto1
My favorites are:

Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
Nikkor 85mm f/1.4

Absolutely beautiful lenses but will be a bit longer with the smaller sensors. I shoot with a full frame camera and love these lenses.

12 years 11 months ago #74367 by Stealthy Ninja

Silverphoto1 wrote: My favorites are:

Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
Nikkor 85mm f/1.4

Absolutely beautiful lenses but will be a bit longer with the smaller sensors. I shoot with a full frame camera and love these lenses.

They're nice lenses, but the Sigma versions are just as good (with better bokeh) and for a cheaper price. In this case I wouldn't go for the Nikon lenses.
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #74449 by Henry Peach
35mm on APS-C is pretty close to a "normal" field of view. It might be quite handy, but most of the time a longer than normal lens would be recommended for portraits. 50mm or 85mm would be a nice portrait lens length. Nothing wrong with going for the f/1.8 versions over the f/1.4 versions either.
12 years 11 months ago #74463 by Nikonjan

Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
Nikkor 85mm f/1.4

Hey, Kristi! Nice to see you here!

12 years 11 months ago #74467 by Nikonjan

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
Nikkor 85mm f/1.4

They're nice lenses, but the Sigma versions are just as good (with better bokeh) and for a cheaper price. In this case I wouldn't go for the Nikon lenses.

I have Sigmas but I have the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and it was pretty inexpensive too.

12 years 11 months ago #74509 by John Landolfi

McBeth Photography wrote: :agree:

50mm ...group shots and full length and 85mm for everything else. First priority I think would be the 50mm f1.8 or better yet 50mm f1.4.

:agree:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #74513 by John Landolfi

Nikonjan wrote: I have the 50mm1.8 and have used it for portraits, it is very sharp and inexpensive. The other thing is our Nikons have a 1.5 mulitipler so the 50 turns out to be a 65mm with our sensors. Unless you get a full frame camera.

:goodpost: :thumbsup: Excellent point. A 50mm on a full frame would require you to be very close to your subject for a head shot that doesn't require strong cropping. But the 50 works very weel on a DX camera

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #76275 by Stealthy Ninja

Nikonjan wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
Nikkor 85mm f/1.4

I have Sigmas but I have the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and it was pretty inexpensive too.

Thing is 50 1.8 lenses are 1.8 lenses.

The Sigma ones have the same aperture as the more expensive ones but with smoother bokeh and are in between the prices of the 1.8 lenses and the 1.4 lenses. The Canon 50/85 1.2 has smoother boken than Sigma, but it has focus quirks and is very expensive.

I've have the Nikon 50 1.8 and have used the Canon 50 1.8. Both suck compared to the Sigma 1.4 (of course this is my opinion and YMMV)

With portraits the quality of the bokeh is pretty important. Nikon bokeh can get busy. Sigma lenses are sometimes slightly softer at the widest aperture (still sharp enough) but the bokeh is much smoother IMHO.

For the noobs who will probably ask:

Bokeh = the quality of the out of focus elements of the picture. It's Japanese for haze/blur and is a pretty common photography term.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024