Lense essentials

12 years 11 months ago #77513 by 0567 gel
I am wondering what others find to be their lens essentials. I have a 18-55 lens. I'm looking to buy more lenses.
What do you consider a good all around lens. and two more you would not do without. Preferably from Nikon since that is what I have.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #77519 by MLKstudios
The three I recommend are all primes (non-zooms). They will give you the sharpest images and can be used in low light levels.

The 50mm (1.8 or 1.4), 35mm and an 85mm. Those will cover most all of your needs.

Other options are a macro (60mm is fine) and a longer telephoto (or long zoom) for sports.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #77521 by YUP Design
While Nikon's 18-200 mm is handy as a walkaround lens, the image quality is acceptable but not excellent. Nikon's 18-200 mm has some of, if not the worst barrel distortion in the entire Nikon line.

Actually, any all around lens will be a collection of compromises (like the 18-200) that diminish image quality in various ways. That's why DSLR's have an interchangable lens feature in the first place. So the photographer can mount to the camera the lens that works best for the particular shooting situation.

12 years 11 months ago #77529 by Nikonjan
I have a Nikon d300, I have many lens but the one I use the most because it is versital is the Nikkor 18-200mm vr lens. wide range. If you need to travel light,this is the one I take, I have many others for many reasons. 50mm 1.8, very sharp and inexpensive lens, good for portraits too, light weight. I have a 70-200 Sigma, heavy but good for portraits also and getting close. I have a 1.4x teleconverter to go with it. I have a 150 and a 50 macro lens, they can also be used for more than just macro. I have a Tamron 28-75 lens, sharp lens, also good for general and portraits. I have a Sigma 10-20 super wide angle, love the effects it gives. You just need to decide what you are going to do with the lens.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago #77539 by 0567 gel

MLKstudios wrote: The three I recommend are all primes (non-zooms). They will give you the sharpest images and can be used in low light levels.

The 50mm (1.8 or 1.4), 35mm and an 85mm. Those will cover most all of your needs.

Other options are a macro (60mm is fine) and a longer telephoto (or long zoom) for sports.

Why would I need all 3 lenses? I am not about to buy 3 primes, plus what ever zoom I would also want to buy that is longer then my 18-55.

12 years 11 months ago #77541 by YUP Design

MLKstudios wrote: The three I recommend are all primes (non-zooms). They will give you the sharpest images and can be used in low light levels.

Telephoto for sports? yes but telephoto is also used for wildlife. I know very few people who shoot sports compare to those who shoot wildlife.

12 years 11 months ago #77619 by TheNissanMan
What do you shoot or what shots can you not cpature at the moment?

Are you shooting wildlife and aren't getting close enough?

Are you shooting in less than ideal light and need a faster lens?

Are you trying to shoot Macro and can't get close enough/enough detail?

The simple answer is there is not a lens or combination of lenses that will fill every togs requirements, it is down to the individual, it may help to post what you personally want to achieve from your photography and what you have been trying to do but not been able to do with your kit to help offer adivce on what may help you achieve your own goals :)

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #77753 by Henry Peach
I do most of my photography in what would be 18-55ish on APS-C format. For me a fast, typical zoom lens is the best all around lens. My main subject matter is portraits, landscapes, weddings, and live music. My next choice would be a fast, normal, prime (28mm to 35mm for APS-C). Then I want a typical portrait prime (50mm to 85mm on APS-C). After that I'd probably go with an ultrawide prime or zoom. I have a zoom, but I always use it at the widest, so a prime would work just as well. Finally I'd go for the long zoom. I just don't shoot too much far away. I like to get close to my subjects. Sometimes I need it, but my 70-200 f/2.8 is my least used lens.
12 years 11 months ago #77811 by Shadowfixer1
All around lens would be the 18-200 VR in my opinion. My other 2 are the 105 VR macro and the 80-400 VR zoom. You could go with the 300 f-4 and a 1.4 teleconvertor for reach instead of the 80-400. The 70-200 VR 2.8 is nice also. If you like shooting in low light a lot, consider the 50mm 1.4 although I prefer my 18-200 and bump up the ISO. I feel it is more flexible. The main thing is to buy the best you can afford even if you have to spread out the purchases. You won't regret having good glass.
12 years 11 months ago #77815 by Screamin Scott

0567 gel wrote:

Why would I need all 3 lenses? I am not about to buy 3 primes, plus what ever zoom I would also want to buy that is longer then my 18-55.

I don't see where he said you had to buy all three lenses, just that those lenses are "classics" for general use. Reading a little more into his answer I presume?...BTW, your question is poorly posed to the forum. You need to indicate the type of photography you enjoy or want to do plus what your budgetary constraints may be....You will get answers to a general question like you posed with answers that won't be useful to you at all as thee lenses may be way over your buget or don't suit the type or shooting you do...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #77963 by Stealthy Ninja
"Lens" not "Lense"
12 years 11 months ago #78003 by Graflex 4x5
You'll usually find me with a 10 - 24, 18 - 105 (both dx format) and a 70 - 200 f2.8. This covers most of my everyday needs.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024