Sigma 150mm or Nikon 105mm Macros?

12 years 11 months ago #78261 by BUV
I am thinking about getting a macro lens soon, and I was thinking either the Nikon 105mm Macro, Sigma 105 or 150mm Macro lenses. Any ideas on which one I should get? I hear that its hard to shoot with the 150mm? Any input?

12 years 11 months ago #78267 by stephenlite4
The Sigma is quite a bit longer in focal length, and will give you the same sized image from about a 50% farther working distance than the 105 would. I have seen quite a few photos done with the Sigma 150,and it has a very beautiful pictorial quality, as does the new 105mm VR-G Nikkor.

If you want to shoot photos of small insects, butterflies, etc, I'd say the 150mm would be the easier choice to work with in terms of getting photos with a nice,selective angle of view and good working distance that will allow you to use flash easily. All three of your choices are known to be excellent macro lenses.

12 years 11 months ago #78271 by BUV
I was looking into the 150mm a little further, and I see that many people also like Sigma's 180mm macro (which happens to be $100 cheaper because of the one F-stop.) Would you say itd be better to get the 150mm with the f/2.8 or sacrifice the one stop (not likely to be used with macro anyway) and get the cheaper 180mm with the longer distance?

12 years 11 months ago #78275 by Puter
I only have the 100mm macro, it's been doing me well.

12 years 11 months ago #78277 by stephenlite4
Actually, I think it would be better to get the 150mm f/ 2.8 macro over the 180 f/3.5 simply because the 150mm is a newer design, and I think the 150 produces better bokeh. Not that the 180 is bad or anything, it's just that the 150mm lens was designed a few years later,after bokeh in third party lenses had become a bigger deal. The 150 might also be a handier lens for more subjects in the field--non-macro subjects for example on 1.5x would be easier to frame with a 150 than with the 180mm lens.

12 years 11 months ago #78279 by BUV
I completely understand about the framing issue I would have. The way I understand it, I can also put a TC on the lens and make a half decent longer lens too. I will have to think about it a bit more. Thanks!

12 years 11 months ago #78549 by cod
I use the Sigma 180 mm macro and love it. I use it mainly for mini-wildlife and the longer focal length is definitely an advantage. You can stay further from your subjects so less chance of disturbing them. You can manouver a tripod around with less chance of knocking foliage and disturbing your subject. The narrower field of view makes it easier to control backgrounds. In my film days I used a 90mm macro and a 200mm macro and definitely would recommend the longer focal lengths for bugs/flowers/etc. As for the slower maximum aperture, depth-of-field in macro is so small that you would likely be using small apertures most of the time, so the slower maximum aperture is not a concern.

On the other hand, if your macro efforts are geared more towards small product photography indoors rather than bugs and flowers outdoors you might find something in the 90-105mm range more useful.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 11 months ago #78559 by Screamin Scott
It's hard to find a true macro lens that isn't good...The build quality may be better on some as opposed to others, but optically I have yet to find one that doesn't deliver. As noted above, what focal length you get will be determined by what your subject matter is...I shoot a lot of bugs & floral & I find the 105mm to be a good choice. Longer gives you more room from your subject which can come in quite handy, but the trade off is that they get larger & heavier as the focal length goes up (price goes up as well)...When you do get one, I started a group here on PT called MacroManiacs, if you care to join...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #78575 by Shadowfixer1
You don't have to get a macro lens to do close up work. I have the 105 VR and I like it a lot but here is a link to some photos by the late Ronnie Gaubert. He used a 300 f-4 with tubes and an assortment of other lenses. I will miss seeing his posts and his excellent photos. You touched more people than you ever thought Ronnie. I wish we had met.

www.pbase.com/ronnie_14187/d100___d200_my_favorites
12 years 11 months ago #78619 by Nikonjan
I have the Sigma 150mm macro. It is a bigger, heavier lens. But it does nice photos. I had a begginers Quantaray 50mm macro for my first and it does ok but wanted to be able to get further away from an insect etc. There are nice shorter macros that don't cost much. A lot of people like the Tamron 60, I think it is?

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago #78677 by Shadowfixer1
The Tamron is a 90 mm lens. I have a friend that has one and it's very good.
12 years 11 months ago #78713 by Nikonjan

Shadowfixer1 wrote: The Tamron is a 90 mm lens. I have a friend that has one and it's very good.

Yea, it was the Tamron 90 I was thinking of. it is suppose to be good.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024