Portable Strobe and battery pack kits?

12 years 7 months ago #147380 by Meskill
I'm looking for something under 20lbs total weight that will hold a good number of shots. I do a bit of hiking and my SB700's are nice but I would like something with more power.

What options do I have?

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #147413 by photosmarts
Two products that I have used are the Quantum Battery and the Dynalite Jackrabit ll. Both work wek and will give you years of use.

12 years 7 months ago #147544 by Meskill

photosmarts wrote: Two products that I have used are the Quantum Battery and the Dynalite Jackrabit ll. Both work wek and will give you years of use.

I have heard about their Jackrabbit II, Dynalite has been around for some time. Are you using this set?

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #148411 by photosmarts
Yes, I've used the Jackrabbit ll for about three years on and off. You can get about 700 full power flashed on a full charge and on TTL alot more. You will need the cord that runs from the Jackrabbit ll to the Nikon flash because it dosent come with the battery.

12 years 7 months ago #148551 by Hamtastic
You know Photoflex has one, Triton I believe it's called. Also Alien Bee/Paul Buff has one, but I think those are back ordered.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #148614 by MLKstudios
The old classic for wedding shooters (very portable):

www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/norman_...rtable_outfit/nr3100

A Genesis battery powered strobe, for not too much $$$ (less portable):

www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/calumet...ttery_system/cf0506k

At the higher end would be a Profoto battery pack and head (pro level):

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/180066-RE...attery_Operated.html

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183380-ST...mphead.html/mode/edu

300 w/s to 1200 w/s

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #148732 by Gene.Culley
I like that Calumet set up. Seems like that is a good value and it has pretty good reviews.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #148735 by MLKstudios
I just bought a couple Genesis lights to test. Been recommending them to students, so thought I should have some hands on experience, and they were on sale. So far am very pleased with them.

My other lights are also from Calumet (made by Bowens). They call them Travelites, and am very happy with those.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

10 years 8 months ago #293673 by McBeth Photography
I think that this looks like the best deal out there right now....

www.adorama.com/FP620MP.html

I'm probably gonna scrape up the cash to get this one! :woohoo: It'll be my first, does anyone have any experience with this kit?

It is what it is.
10 years 8 months ago #293681 by KCook
I have the lower rated 320M, without the battery pack. I'm pretty happy with it. My main nit-pic would be that it lacks a digital readout. The sweep knob for adjusting the output does have a scale. But I'm not confident of its precision over the low end of the range. Of course this is a concern only if you are trying to do precision exposures with a meter.

chimping Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 8 months ago #293689 by McBeth Photography
www.adorama.com/FP600DGK.html#reviews

I didn't see this one before, would the digital readout be worth the extra 25 bucks? I think that it might! ;)

It is what it is.
10 years 8 months ago #293690 by KCook
Humm, looks like the power pack is a slight upgrade as well?

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 8 months ago #293725 by McBeth Photography

KCook wrote: Humm, looks like the power pack is a slight upgrade as well?

Sure looks like it, of course any battery powered strobe would be better than the one that I don't have. ;)

It is what it is.
10 years 8 months ago #293784 by KCook
One would think that wedding photogs and the commercial shooters would have a handle on these options. You might try the more "pro" oriented forums like Fredmiranda.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 8 months ago #294974 by McBeth Photography
Well I really, really need extra light for a shoot in a coming up so I landed on the Flashpoint 620M from Adorama. :)
( www.adorama.com/FP620MK.html )

Since I don't need battery power (yet) .... I opted for the kit with an air cushioned light stand and a small umbrella. I can't wait to put my 60" umbrella on the new monolight!! :cheer:

Review to follow....

It is what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024