Rechargeables in flash?

12 years 3 months ago #191177 by LeahJean84
I've heard mixed talk about using rechargable AA's in a flash....I just wanted to hear everyones opinion on whether its a good idea or not and if you are using them what type?

12 years 3 months ago #191180 by Tgauge9
Rechargables are all I use - 2700mAh NiMh

12 years 3 months ago #191187 by Shupp98
:agree: That is what I use.

12 years 3 months ago #191191 by LeahJean84

Tgauge9 wrote: Rechargables are all I use - 2700mAh NiMh

Thanks. I guess rechargeables will work just fine then.

12 years 3 months ago #191195 by Baydream
Good ones can actually shorten cycle time.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #191248 by mattmoran
I tried using rechargeable AAs in my flash for a while. (I used energizer's brand.) It does shorten the recharge time, which is cool. What's not so cool is rechargeable batteries do not keep their charge very well if you aren't using them. Also, they don't last very long. So you need a set in your flash and another set in the charger, and be prepared to switch them out.

I went back to the regular duracell/energizer AA batteries. You can leave them in a drawer (or your camera bag) for months and they will still work. And you get a lot more flashes out of them.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #191285 by Bob Eaton
I use all kinds of rechargeables in my flashes!!!! I`ve learned to keep a few extras with me on a long job!!!!!!! I make it a point to charge all of them at least once a month to keep them up. I saw an article on FB, that if you take a 6 volt lantern battery and open it up, you find 36 AAbatteries sitting in there, ready to be used. It`s a great way to save on them!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :cheers: :banana: ;) :side:

Nothing is Beatleproof!!!!!!!!!
12 years 3 months ago #191439 by Shadowfixer1

mattmoran wrote: I tried using rechargeable AAs in my flash for a while. (I used energizer's brand.) It does shorten the recharge time, which is cool. What's not so cool is rechargeable batteries do not keep their charge very well if you aren't using them. Also, they don't last very long. So you need a set in your flash and another set in the charger, and be prepared to switch them out.

I went back to the regular duracell/energizer AA batteries. You can leave them in a drawer (or your camera bag) for months and they will still work. And you get a lot more flashes out of them.

If your rechargeables don't last as long as "regular duracell/energizer AA batteries" then you bought the wrong rechargeables. I have 2750's and some 2800's and no regular battery will come close to keeping up with them. You need to go buy some good rechargeables.
12 years 3 months ago #191502 by mattmoran

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If your rechargeables don't last as long as "regular duracell/energizer AA batteries" then you bought the wrong rechargeables. I have 2750's and some 2800's and no regular battery will come close to keeping up with them. You need to go buy some good rechargeables.

It's possible that I didn't buy high enough quality rechargeable batteries. Or maybe the charger wasn't a high quality charger -- I understand that can have an effect on the battery performance.

In any event, it doesn't seem worth it to buy new rechargeable batteries and/or a charger. The normal ones work just fine and are easily available. Your millage may vary.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #191606 by Shadowfixer1

mattmoran wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If your rechargeables don't last as long as "regular duracell/energizer AA batteries" then you bought the wrong rechargeables. I have 2750's and some 2800's and no regular battery will come close to keeping up with them. You need to go buy some good rechargeables.

It's possible that I didn't buy high enough quality rechargeable batteries. Or maybe the charger wasn't a high quality charger -- I understand that can have an effect on the battery performance.

In any event, it doesn't seem worth it to buy new rechargeable batteries and/or a charger. The normal ones work just fine and are easily available. Your millage may vary.

If you are a minimal user, I agree, but if you are shooting an event you will be glad you had the rechargeables.
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #191628 by Henry Peach
I've only used rechargeable batteries for years. They work great. Sanyo Eneloops don't lose their charge, or at least they lose it very slowly. They're supposed to retain 75% of their charge after 4 years.

The only advantage of alkaline batteries in a flash is potential for longevity (in storage). In all other aspects nimh batteries are better. These days they are just as powerful, and they discharge power at a faster rate (slightly faster recycle). Alkaline batteries do last longer in a flash, but by the time I get to the extra shots the recycle time has become so slow I'm going to switch them out anyway.

If you want to really speed up recycle time and extend the number of shots get a battery pack for your speedlight. I like Zebra Flash's prices.
12 years 3 months ago #191633 by Henry Peach

mattmoran wrote: It's possible that I didn't buy high enough quality rechargeable batteries. Or maybe the charger wasn't a high quality charger -- I understand that can have an effect on the battery performance.

I've used PowerEx, Sanyo Eneloop, Everready, Duracell, and Rayovac rechargables. The PowerEx and Eneloops had to be mail ordered, but they do work better than the others, which I bought in a local dept store. They all cost about the same. I've always just used what appears to be a pretty cheap charger.
12 years 3 months ago #191765 by Bob Eaton

Henry Peach wrote: I've only used rechargeable batteries for years. They work great. Sanyo Eneloops don't lose their charge, or at least they lose it very slowly. They're supposed to retain 75% of their charge after 4 years.

The only advantage of alkaline batteries in a flash is potential for longevity (in storage). In all other aspects nimh batteries are better. These days they are just as powerful, and they discharge power at a faster rate (slightly faster recycle). Alkaline batteries do last longer in a flash, but by the time I get to the extra shots the recycle time has become so slow I'm going to switch them out anyway.

If you want to really speed up recycle time and extend the number of shots get a battery pack for your speedlight. I like Zebra Flash's prices.

I used a Quantum Bantum Battery pack for 25 years before it finally quit!!!!! I got my monies worth, I`d say!!!!!! :thumbsup: :silly:

Nothing is Beatleproof!!!!!!!!!
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #191851 by Henry Peach

Bob Eaton wrote: I used a Quantum Bantum Battery pack for 25 years before it finally quit!!!!!

I have a Quantum battery pack (Q1 or Q+ or something) that I bought used, and then used for years with Vivitar 285hv flashes. I suppose I could get a cord for my EOS flashes. When I stored it away it was still working.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024