SOFTBOX?

8 years 11 months ago #193676 by Dan13lle
Im planning to get a softbox. I need some help on some proper ways of using it. It will be used mainly on outside shoots. I guess my main question is how would i set it up for example ISO, shutter speed aperture, White balance etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 11 months ago #193678 by Ogy55
A softbox doesn't really change your ISO setting or your white balance ...

Basically you put the softbox over your flash and you'll probably want to set your FLASH COMPENSATION to +1 or +2 (depending on the softbox) and use it that way

For a more thorough instruction are you using this on a strobe or a flash ... just kinda wondering a bit more info.

8 years 11 months ago #193679 by L44Loo
A soft box is just a light modifier. Need to know about the light itself, in order to help you.

8 years 11 months ago #193680 by Dan13lle

Ogy55 wrote: A softbox doesn't really change your ISO setting or your white balance ...

Basically you put the softbox over your flash and you'll probably want to set your FLASH COMPENSATION to +1 or +2 (depending on the softbox) and use it that way

For a more thorough instruction are you using this on a strobe or a flash ... just kinda wondering a bit more info.

I will be using a strobe.

8 years 11 months ago #193681 by Dan13lle

L44Loo wrote: A soft box is just a light modifier. Need to know about the light itself, in order to help you.

It will be a night shoot and I'm using a alienbee strobe.

8 years 11 months ago #193687 by Ogy55
Put the softbox on your alienbee. Easiest thing that you can do is get a flash meter to meter your flash out put and shoot away.

8 years 11 months ago #193690 by L44Loo

Dan13lle wrote:

L44Loo wrote: A soft box is just a light modifier. Need to know about the light itself, in order to help you.

It will be a night shoot and I'm using a alienbee strobe.

The exposure from the strobe is controlled by the aperture setting and the power setting on the strobe. The shutter speed has no bearing on the flash exposure, just remember to keep it longer than your camera's max sync speed. The shutter speed can be used to control the ambient exposure though.

So if you use a fast shutter speed, 1/200 for example, your ambient (background) is likely going to be very dark. But if you use a long/slow shutter speed, then you can get more ambient exposure.

The aperture & ISO will affect both the ambient and flash exposures.

Lastly, the distance from the light to the subject, will also affect the exposure from the strobe.

A flash meter is the right tool for measuring the flash output, it would tell you what aperture you need to use for the shot. If you don't have a flash meter, then you should be able to get there by guessing & testing.

8 years 11 months ago #193700 by Dan13lle
Thanks for all your help.

8 years 11 months ago #193745 by KCook
Lighting dummy here :silly: . I thought soft boxes were mainly for studios? That umbrellas were preferred outdoors? Not meant as a silly jibe on rain, a serious query.

lighting dummy

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 11 months ago #193773 by Baydream

KCook wrote: Lighting dummy here :silly: . I thought soft boxes were mainly for studios? That umbrellas were preferred outdoors? Not meant as a silly jibe on rain, a serious query.

lighting dummy

I think the question was in reference to umbrellas, reflectors and/or diffusers, not light boxes.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

8 years 11 months ago #193810 by mattmoran

KCook wrote: Lighting dummy here :silly: . I thought soft boxes were mainly for studios? That umbrellas were preferred outdoors? Not meant as a silly jibe on rain, a serious query.

lighting dummy

I can't think of any reason not to use a softbox vs an umbrella outdoors.

-Matt

8 years 11 months ago #193847 by KCook
An umbrella is not a little more wind resistant? :dry:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 11 months ago #194289 by mattmoran

-Matt

8 years 11 months ago #194358 by KCook
Looked like they had some breezes too. Fancy video!!!

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Text messaging for business can help you in many ways, from keeping in touch with clients to sending invoices to get paid. Learn other benefits in this photography business guide.

Jan 18, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

Not everyone is comfortable in front of the camera, but with these portrait photography tips, you'll learn surefire ways to help models relax and have fun.

Jan 18, 2021

It's easy to be inspired in photography, but sometimes you need some photography exercises to regain that creativity. Learn a few creative photography ideas in this guide.

Jan 18, 2021

One of the best things you can do for your photography business is to make it easier for your clients to pay you. Learn how you can do that with these simple photography business tips.

Jan 15, 2021

Canon EF lenses have a long-standing reputation for quality. And with an EF-RF adapter, you can continue using your EF lenses with an EOS R body.

Jan 15, 2021

Processing landscape photos takes a good amount of time and effort. By educating yourself on tips for processing landscape photos, you can make the most of your editing time.

Jan 14, 2021

I got my first metal print from Printique about six weeks ago. In this Printique metal print review, learn why this might be the best metal print I've ever gotten.

Jan 13, 2021