Omni bounce used outdoors

11 years 8 months ago #249534 by Gene.Culley
Dumb question, but is the omni bounce able to work outside?

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #249580 by McBeth Photography
Not very effective outdoors. The light coming out of the flash is relatively straight or traveling in a straight line. Sto-Fen calls it the omni-bounce because it scatters the light in all directions and bounces it off of walls to provide fill light on the subject.

It is what it is.
11 years 8 months ago #249581 by Stanly
Exactly :agree: you have nothing to bounce off of. Not it's shining moment of use.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #249938 by Monster
These work great for indoors, but honestly for exterior use only, isn't a good buy.

Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #257570 by Moe
Wouldn't you want something to "bounce" the light off?

Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #259805 by One Creative Girl
I have one of these and they are great for indoor use of course, but honestly I don't use it that much.

Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #259840 by Henry Peach
It's probably somewhat more diffuse, and it would increase the light source size a bit (although depending on distance to subject it might not make any difference in the real world). But in general I'll agree with the others: it's meant to be bounced, and if there isn't anything to bounce off of....
11 years 6 months ago #259860 by Screamin Scott
If you shoot macro, it can be used in a pinch on a flash unit to provide additional illumination for your subject. I have used one on an SB 600 & was using a 105mm macro lens (it softens the flash & when used with longer macro lenses, won't be cut off by the lens barrel)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #259914 by Joves

Henry Peach wrote: It's probably somewhat more diffuse, and it would increase the light source size a bit (although depending on distance to subject it might not make any difference in the real world). But in general I'll agree with the others: it's meant to be bounced, and if there isn't anything to bounce off of....

:agree:
This is the correct answer. It is dependent upon distance from the subject. The omnibounce which is a diffuser would soften the light for macro if that is what you are shooting. If you are shooting in the shadows it will also give you a limited fill light, but if you are shooting in bright light forget it. You would be better off with a bounce card to throw the light, but then its range is severely limited as well. Reflectors are your best friend in bright light conditions to illuminate the subject.

11 years 6 months ago #259985 by studiotoffa
I would say it all depend onthe subject you intend to use it on and how you intend to use it. Since the omni bounce is a diffuser I would say it would be ok to use in landscape where you want a touch of soften fill light, avoid strong directional light and don't want to bring along or have room for a softbox like the Lumiquest Softbox III. But you won't be able to use it to bounce around on the surroundings for a effect.
And I would say that the Softbox III would be a better option as it's more directional, and don't release stray light on the sides.

Please visit me at Studio Toffa Photography www.studio-toffa.com
img\def

11 years 6 months ago #259990 by Stealthy Ninja
Bounce it off clouds. :banana:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024