How do I choose an appropriate flash for my photographic needs?

1 year 3 months ago #747330 by Norse Photographer
Perhaps you can help me out, for someone that is just getting started with lighting and has no experience with flash photography, how do you go about picking the best flash for your needs?  

1 year 3 months ago #747492 by Esseff

Norse Photographer wrote: Perhaps you can help me out, for someone that is just getting started with lighting and has no experience with flash photography, how do you go about picking the best flash for your needs?  

Not really a flash guy. I use softboxes for indoor stuff that need a larger area lit. For macro photography I use a led ringlight. I also have smaller (about the size of a large smart phone) led panels that I carry around with me for 'just in case'. These are great because they are  so versatile and can also be used as a battery pack.

What are you trying to shoot?

1 year 3 months ago #747550 by db3348
I don't use much flash these days ,  but when I did :
  • Typically went for the big names such as Metz , Sunpak, Bowens ,  but  they are no longer in business .  Godox , ProFoto and Elinchrom  seem to be flavour of the year now . 
  • Frequently chose one of those that could be used off the camera and triggered with a 'synchronising' cable plugged into the camera's PC sync port .  These days many flashes are triggered by modern blue-tooth or infra-red devices,  e.g., PocketWizard .  Godox may have a similar device .  Off-camera flash can lead to many different , flexible ways of illuminating a subject, instead of the same old boring on-camera flash illumination,  which gives a very flat, bland kind of effect .
  • Chose a fairly powerful unit ,  because on the rare (for me) occasion of needing a flash , the subject would usually need a fair amount of light output  to achieve a decent result. 
  • Flash light output is usually indicated by the flash's "guide number" , cited by manufacturer in the description , and is quoted relative to the ISO setting and  relative to either meters / or feet of subject distance from flash . 
For example,  guide number of 160 (feet) for ISO 100 ,  required lens aperture f/number  is calculated by dividing  guide number by distance from flash to subject ,  so when flash is , say , 20 feet from subject ,  160 / 20 = 8 ,    so required aperture would be f/8 .  
You didn't state what  your subjects would be – portraits , still-lifes , macro ... – so not sure  what kind of light output you  would be needing .
  • The bigger brands  had a greater selection of light-modifying accessories  such as filters and diffusers ,  soft-boxes , snoots , umbrellas  to achieve  many different lighting effects .
Hope that's a useful starting guide for you .

db3348

Photo Comments
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #747554 by Razky

Norse Photographer wrote: Perhaps you can help me out, for someone that is just getting started with lighting and has no experience with flash photography, how do you go about picking the best flash for your needs?

The first step ought to be to identify your needs.
Edit: Once you know what you need, it's a pretty simple matter to check the specifications of the various available units and choose whatever meets your needs.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024