QUESTION - FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY

10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #753398 by isabellasophie
Hi, I just wondered if anyone has tried using an external flash? I realise the built in flashes in dslr give a horrible result but just wondered if anyone ever uses a horseshoe mounted flash gun. I've just been on a photography course and we were using flash (this was medical) and the results were much sharper than I am used to to. Just wondered if anyone has any experience. 

10 months 1 week ago #753402 by Hassner
I never ever used the pop-up flash of any camera. 
The horseshoe one can point to any direction, so I am always looking for white to gray walls to bounce the light off. 
Direct flash is very unnatural and leaves obvious predictable shadows, specially the the external one, which is further from the lens than the pop-up. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
10 months 1 week ago #753530 by db3348
On the odd occasion that I use any flash at all,  I use external flash ,  because it  gives  so many more lighting options and effects .
And  it  can look more atmospheric , more natural , and  more flattering (of portraits) than built-in flash .
Isobella,  In your course,  were you using a 'ring' flash ,  which 'wraps' around the camera lens ? ,  and  gives almost shadowless lighting.  I have not used one of those ,  but  I know they can often produce some nice effects .

Photo Comments
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #753534 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Isobella

Flash is one of those things that can be most useful and really awful if not used 'correctly'
Sadly most pics we see from parties etc. is via in-camera flash and people never look good under those conditions

I use in-camera flash regularly -and- also external flash "as needed"

I use in-camera flash to fill shadows when shooting stuff heavy with shadow and where I want to lift the shadows to save PP later on -or- to lift shadows more than PP can easily achieve.  (sample attached).  I'm sure you well know that all sensors have issues with underexposure ... bringing the very dark bits to 'bright' also brings out colour artifacts (funny splotches) so by using flash in the original shoot minimises those artifacts

I also use the in-camera flash with output set to 1/4 to activate an external flash set up as a slave.  The 2nd flash might be about 1-1/2 to 2-metres away @ 45deg to 90deg sideways, red receiver set towards the camera but flash head pointing to the subject, and it fires and creates the image / shadows / highlights for me

So there are uses for the in-camera flash once you have done some experimenting :)
Hope this helps
Phil

This old dead tree branch was lit by very bright heavy sun and I used the flash to bring the blacks up to 'viewable'

exif- Panny FZ-2500; 1/400s x F8,0; ISO-200; lens at 1x zoom / 24mm FF equiv

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LensofNature

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024