Strobist I could use some input on the Nikon SB-600 or SB-800?

13 years 5 days ago #57051 by No Show
Hi photography people

I have a Nikon D300 and have been doing mostly outdoor photos and thus far I have had no need for a additional off camera flash. Much of that has to do with preference. I would like to start getting into do senior portraits to earn some extra money so need to pick up a couple flashes. I was also looking at getting one of these Custom Brackets to hold the flash(s). I've been reading and found that many recommend either the SB 600 or SB 800 over the SB 900.

I haven't found a lot on "why" this is, and was hoping to get some input here. Thank you!

Jeff

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
13 years 2 days ago #59638 by Garbo
Both the SB800 and SB900 you can use as Masters. Personally I would go with the SB800 if you can find one. :thumbsup:

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
13 years 2 days ago #59750 by Nikonjan
I too shoot with a D300 and have an SB800 and SB600, I haven't found the need for me to spend more money on the SB900. I have recently bought the Gary Fong collapsible diffuser and love it. Used it for a wedding. I recently was given a grid to go with it. The diffuser gives a soft light with less shadows. Be sure to watch the videos on the website for Gary Fong on how to use it. I also have recently bought a 2x2 ft softbox for the speedlite and love that too.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
13 years 2 days ago #59769 by John Landolfi
I use both the 600 and the 800 with a D3 and a D200, and I agree with Jan that I see no need to upgrade. A bracket is a must for me (I use a flip), and the Gary Fong diffuser is excellent

Photo Comments
13 years 2 days ago #59808 by Screamin Scott
I use an SB 600 with a Stroboframe bracket (flash flip, not camera flip) but I prefer the "Joe Demb" diffuser over Gary Fong's products.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 2 days ago #59813 by photobod
I have an sb600 and an sb900, I dont think the sb800 has been continued so you may find it difficult to get one, the sb900 is superb, best bit of equipment I have bought in the last couple, of years.

The Gary Fong collapsible diffuser is a must have, advise to put a piece of foil inside to cover about one third of diffuser, it just gives a bit more power to the light going forward, just my opinion of course.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 2 days ago - 13 years 2 days ago #59822 by Screamin Scott

photobod wrote: I have an sb600 and an sb900, I dont think the sb800 has been continued so you may find it difficult to get one, the sb900 is superb, best bit of equipment I have bought in the last couple, of years.

The Gary Fong collapsible diffuser is a must have, advise to put a piece of foil inside to cover about one third of diffuser, it just gives a bit more power to the light going forward, just my opinion of course.

David,
what you are doing to increase the flash output towards the subject is precisely the reason I'm not keen on the Fong units (plus they are overpriced IMHO)...Here's a link to how the Demb unit works (light is directed at the subject, not the whole room)...It's kinda like "a Better Bounce Card" but with a diffuser as well
www.dembflashproducts.com/diffuser/instructions/

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024