Old Blue Eyes

12 years 8 months ago #125657 by Screamin Scott

Pixelchix wrote: Thanks for the link. Holey Moley that little thing is expensive!

That's a 62mm thread close up lens. If you have lenses with a 52mm thread, you can get the same strength diopter by getting the 3T....Only problem with the Nikon Diopters is that they are discontinued so only eBay & some camera stores with remaining stock have them & thus supply is limited which drives up prices. The 3T & 5T are the same with the exception of the thread size & the 4T & 6T are the same as well except for the thread size....I have a 4T plus a Marumi (can't remember the strength though) close up lenses that I rarely use...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125672 by Pixelchix
I guess I knew close up lenses existed but I always thought that the quality was not good but this has def proved me wrong!

12 years 8 months ago #125678 by Pixelchix
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

12 years 8 months ago #125692 by Shadowfixer1
I may try the 6T tomorrow to see how i like it with this combo. I've always preferred the 5T before. Oh, and it's not a little thing either. It's quite a hunk of glass when compared to regular filters.
12 years 8 months ago #125811 by dang

Screamin Scott wrote:

Pixelchix wrote: Thanks for the link. Holey Moley that little thing is expensive!

That's a 62mm thread close up lens. If you have lenses with a 52mm thread, you can get the same strength diopter by getting the 3T....Only problem with the Nikon Diopters is that they are discontinued so only eBay & some camera stores with remaining stock have them & thus supply is limited which drives up prices. The 3T & 5T are the same with the exception of the thread size & the 4T & 6T are the same as well except for the thread size....I have a 4T plus a Marumi (can't remember the strength though) close up lenses that I rarely use...

You can also get " Step-Up Adapter Rings " to use larger filters on smaller diameter filter threads instead of buying multiple diopters. The nice thing about this is when larger diopters are used, there's less edge distortion from the curvature. I believe Canon still produces the 500D (D is for double diopters) series in various diameters.

Like Scott, though I have a couple, I rarely use them and opt for extension tubes or converters to increase magnification instead. Unless you crop, the distortion can become problematic. jmoh
:cheers:

Insanity: doing the same thing over, and over again expecting different results. (Albert Einstein)
www.dangphoto.weebly.com

12 years 8 months ago #125814 by McBeth Photography
Amazing detail Randy! Very nice work! :beerbang:

It is what it is.
12 years 8 months ago #125832 by Shanna-Marie
OMG Randy,this is freakin Awesome! I'm kinda sitting here in Awe at the moment, a little dumbfounded too.....Wow!! I don't know anything about that filter, thank you all so much for discussing it here and for providing the links too. One thing is for sure, there's No way I'd ever be able to own That lens, Holy Hannah! ;)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 8 months ago #125835 by robbie
Wow,that`s sharp!

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125964 by MLKstudios
Although some people refer to it as a close-up "filter", it's actually a close up "lens" and is why it costs much more than a typical filter. It changes the angle of the light rays, but doesn't really "filter" any wavelengths. Something a normal filter does.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125967 by Shadowfixer1
Yes it is a lens, but for people not familar with them, I prefer to tell them it's a filter so they won't be confused. You tell them lens and they get a real funny look on their face.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125969 by MLKstudios
Many call it a filter and wouldn't say they are wrong. An ND filter isn't really filtering light either, just blocking all wavelengths equally and yet everyone calls it a "filter". It's very common to call ANY round thing placed on the front of the lens a "filter".

I was pointing out to those who care, that a close-up filter really is a kind of lens. And is why the price is higher than most. Sharp lenses cost good $$$.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125998 by Screamin Scott
Ya know, when I first saw the title, I was expecting a picture of Frank....(Sinatra that is)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #126009 by MLKstudios
He isn't looking that good lately. ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126059 by MLKstudios
One of the TMBO members ID'd it for you:

www.flickr.com/photos/argent34/370590914...et-72157617356117638

... appears to be famous for its long...

Again, let me know if you'd like to join. We have a lot of fun looking at pics from all over the world.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #126139 by Scotty
Spectacular as usual. :drool:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024