Advise for a beginner to macro photography please

12 years 7 months ago #150646 by orion
Hi all.

I would like to get into macro photography (insects etc), where do i begin?

I would love to have a go after seeing effron's bee shot, but confused on lenses. There are a few lenses on ebay - 40mm/60mm/85mm/105mm all macro - but which is the best to go for? and then would i need extension tubes on top? Money isnt a problem at the moment.

Currently have Nikon D90 and 18 - 105mm lens.

Many thanks for replies :)

12 years 7 months ago #150651 by RogerS
The 105 is the most recommended. It should be a 1:1 lens and quick enough for you. Extension tubes are for when you want to go into super macro mode, and more difficult to handle, the more extension you add.

The following user(s) said Thank You: orion
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #150850 by steveheap
Its a great adventure - moving into macro. I bought a 100mm macro lens back in July and have been having great fun with it. 100mm seems to be about the sweet spot, as you can move reasonably far back from the subject (perhaps 12 inches or so) and still get the magnification. The longer macro lens get too big and heavy after that. You should also think about a macro focusing rail. The link is to an article I wrote about the Velbon rail and how you use it to get better depth of field in your macro shots. I have put a gallery of my better macro shots on this site if you want a bit of inspiration on non-insect shots.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 7 months ago #150863 by Screamin Scott
A flash is a much better investment for a beginner than a focus rail. I say that because while a focus rail is very handy, a source of additional light pays bigger dividends. It allows you to stop down the aperture for greater DOF & it will also stop subject movement (more so than a faster shutter speed will)...
As for the OP's question as to needing extension tubes to go along with the macro lens, the answer is no. You can use them with a macro lens to get even more magnification, but they are not required. As for what macro lens to get, I have yet to find any macro lens that doesn't deliver. The 3rd party models may not have the build quality of the OEM's, but that's not to say they are inferior optically because they are not.....Decide more on focal length as opposed to manufacturer...As others have stated above, the 105 focal length is one of the nore common choices as it allows for more distance between the front of the lens & your subject (important if you plan to photograph skittish insects)...The longer focal lengths allow for more distance, however it at the cost of added size/weight & cost.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #150867 by orion
Thanks for that. I will consider the 105mm. Is there much difference in the makes ie. nikon, tamron, sigma? Also I have a flash, albeit its the Nikon Sb400. Would that be suitable or need to change flash?

12 years 7 months ago #150868 by Screamin Scott
Not really, at least not optically....I personally use an old manual focus macro lens that doesn't even meter with my D70s...I have 4 different macro lenses from 55-135mm plus a couple of ring lights et al....I sometimes use an SB 600 fitted with a StoFen diffuser to add additional light on my subjects. I would assume an SB 400 would work in a pinch, though it isn't as powerful...The links under my sig link to some of my macro shots if you want to see how even older macro lenses work well with DSLR's

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #150872 by orion
Your insect photos - do you use a ring flash? and flash on camera?

12 years 7 months ago #150877 by Screamin Scott
Some were done using a ring/point light, others with the SB600

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #150880 by steveheap
I agree about the flash - that is pretty essential, especially for indoor shots. If the insect is pretty still, or you know where it is going to be (like a bird on a bird feeder perch), you can put your flash guns on stands and point at the spot. I like the Rogue Flashbenders to soften the light - easy to use and easy to pack away afterwards.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 7 months ago #150881 by orion
Thanks both - time to upgrade my flash, I didnt think it was powerful enough. Some very useful information there...thanks

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024