attempt at Macro.. please help

12 years 4 months ago #186351 by barbaraw

My friend asked me if I would take pictures for her wedding, fortunately, it is not until July, so I have time to practice and learn this.
I was looking through my wedding pictures and one thing I noticed was how clear and beautiful the macro pictures of our rings were.
I decided to try and work on this since it is an area I am weak on. Please take a look and tell me what I can do to make this better.

This picture was taken at:
f/5.6 1/250s
ISO 100

with my 18-55 mm lens at 55mm.

What am I doing wrong???

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #186416 by effron
I'll offer an opinion. You aren't going to get very good close up results with that lens, try an extension ring, or a dedicated macro lens. Also tripod mount and timer/remote trigger. Also, the photo is very busy, lots of distractions from the ring itself. Finally, post processing is important.......;)

www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/jewelry_photography.htm
www.bmpt1.com/

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #186541 by barbaraw
Thank you for your feedback. It is very helpful. If I remember correctly, my father has a Macro lens on his camera, however it is a Cannon. This may be a stupid question, but can that lens be used on my camera even though I have a Nikon?

12 years 4 months ago #186616 by photobod
As far as I am away the canon lens wont work on a Nikon, your shot is very underexposed and you need to widen your aperture and spot focus directly onto the ring, try a flash to get some sparkle into shot. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 4 months ago #186642 by chasrich
Closing the aperture will give you better DOF ... I would try getting those extra stops by bumping the ISO, using lots of light and slowing the shutter. A tripod might be needed.

If you can borrow your dads camera along with the lens.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #186660 by Stealthy Ninja
Your pic screams at me "DIRECT FLASH" try shooting with light coming in from a window for softer light.

No Canon lenses won't work on Nikon bodies. Nikon lenses will work on Canon bodies though (with an adapter).
12 years 3 months ago #188813 by mj~shutterbugg
I have to agree with previous posters- the shot is a tad underexposed, the diamonds lack the spark, and for me I see a spot on the starfish that seems in focus than the diamonds in the rings.

I would try a tripod, ambient light that sets fire to the stones, maybe a remote shutter, a higher f stop for greater DOF. You may need to bump the ISO to allow for the ambient light, or with a tripod you can have a higher f/stop, low ISO and using a remote will eliminate the camera shake from depressing the shutter button during the much longer exposure. Also if you have access to a lens that allows macro work try that too. Even if it means carrying an extra body to get that specific shot.

Shooting rings is tough. I tried something with my ring and it bombed. I want to try again and will post results.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 3 months ago #189083 by barbaraw
Ok, so I went and picked up my dad's camera.. which was an emotional request.. my father just passed away in November at the young age of 63.. so any request of his belongings is tough on my mom.

I put the macro lens on his camera, and when it was focusing, it started screeching. It never used to make that noise, but we haven't really used the camera much since dad got sick back in January. Could it be making that noise because it has been sitting for a while? how can I fix it? do I need to bring it some where?

My next question is..

Somewhere at my mom's house I have my Nikon SLR camera. Will the lenses from my Film Nikon work on my Digital Nikon? I don't want to go digging though my dad's things (he was last to use it) unless I have to right now. Practicing these shots is a have to.. so if it should work, I will take that emotional ride. :)

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #189091 by Screamin Scott
Can't answer the lens screech problem from the Canon, but you might try cleaning the contacts on both the camera & lens & see it that helps. As for your older film camera lenses working on your Nikon D7000, the answer is yes. Older AF lenses will work in any mode. If the lenses are older MF ones, you will be limited to Aperture Priority or Manual modes, but the meter will still function. If perchance the lenses are very old Pre-Ai Nikkors, they can't be used unless they were Ai modified...
Sorry abut your Dad's passing...He was only a year older than I am.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #189225 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #189227 by Screamin Scott

effron wrote: A couple good lens compatibility sites.......

www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Nikonian"s chart has errors, Ken's is accurate....

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #189932 by mj~shutterbugg

Data:
ISO 200
f/ 10
shutter 1/4 sec.
50 mm macro
ambient light (from an LED flashlight)
remote shutter
tripod

I hope this helps. I took about a hundred shots to get the fire just right.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024