lens vignetting as artistic effect?

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #274372 by yasminduran
I bought a Canon T3i this weekend and took it on a hiking trip with a friend to Wetlands Park in Las Vegas. I took a few macro shots using the 18-55mm kit lens and my 10x macro ring. The picture below was taken at the 18mm focal length.

At first, I didn't like the vignetting caused by the macro ring at that focal length, but then I got to thinking it could be used as an interesting artistic effect in-camera. Especially after applying the Orton Effect to this picture in Photoshop. What do all of you think? Note: no other editing as yet (levels, exposure, etc.) as yet. Just the Orton Effect applied in photoshop.

Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago #274374 by Rob pix4u2
interesting effect that works well in certain situations such as this one but can also be done in post processing with your software.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago #274375 by Screamin Scott
Get a true macro lens. The difference in quality will blow you away...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #274391 by John37
I learned the hard way that vingetting is not the most popular! :lol: At least not here! :lol: :whistle:
I for one like the effect. And I'm still a believer that I can use it in a way that is cool and generally accepted! But I think it takes more than just a simple vingette. Adjusting the roundness, feathering and so on really come in to play here. In the example you provided it, to me, looks more like a microscope view. Not meant as an insult.. just what comes to mind. :cheers:

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 2 months ago #274392 by Leilanee

John37 wrote: I learned the hard way that vingetting is not the most popular! :lol: At least not here! :lol: :whistle:
I for one like the effect. And I'm still a believer that I can use it in a way that is cool and generally accepted! But I think it takes more than just a simple vingette. Adjusting the roundness, feathering and so on really come in to play here. In the example you provided it, to me, looks more like a microscope view. Not meant as an insult.. just what comes to mind. :cheers:

I very frequently add vignettes in photoshop :whistle:
Mind you, vignette to me is subtle darkening of the edges while preserving some visibility in the image. I don't like it when it's solid black around the edges... To me it should accent, not obstruct.

11 years 2 months ago #274393 by Darrell
I think vingetting has its place, not sure if it helps this image... I find the subject is lost with the background, my eye seems to go to the out edge rather than the subject... :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 2 months ago #274396 by Leilanee

Darrell wrote: I think vingetting has its place, not sure if it helps this image... I find the subject is lost with the background, my eye seems to go to the out edge rather than the subject... :beerbang:

Interesting... I've always found it the opposite! Highlights the subject and keeps focus there by darkening the edges

Here's an example where I did it to amplify focus on the subject

Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago #274398 by Darrell
:agree: :agree: My comment was referring to the macro picture in this post not vingetting in general.... With your very nice picture my eye goes to the subject's eyes, where as in the macro shot the black seems to draw my eye.
That could just be me....

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 2 months ago #274399 by Leilanee

Darrell wrote: :agree: :agree: My comment was referring to the macro picture in this post not vingetting in general.... With your very nice picture my eye goes to the subject's eyes, where as in the macro shot the black seems to draw my eye.
That could just be me....

Ah, I missed that! Thought you were generalizing. Whoops!

11 years 2 months ago #274401 by CWphotos

Screamin Scott wrote: Get a true macro lens. The difference in quality will blow you away...

Agree! I need to dig out my macro lens again one of these days!

It's an interesting result. Just a thought...it might work better with a larger, single blossom, surrounded by a busy BG. Here, even the vignetting doesn't help me ( personally ) to determine a focal point. Maybe after you work with it more...?

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024