Let's talk tubes

12 years 10 months ago #90653 by MLKstudios
I could only read what they had on the page. If you have a set, I am sure you are correct.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #90715 by mj~shutterbugg
OK since I am new to tubes (and this was my impression of the price range :P ) would I be better served to get these www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Extension-Extrem...id=1308326954&sr=8-2 ? I know I loose aperture control as well as auto focus or would my money be better spent on the set that maintains electronic lens control?

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #90719 by MLKstudios
You'll probably learn more using the cheap all manual variety. It will take a few steps to make an image, so the tripod is going to be a necessity, not a luxury.

Your choice though. The electronics let you shoot much quicker, and possibly handhold a few.

HTH :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #90727 by Screamin Scott
That really is a personal choice...Shooting macro normally means manual focusing, so the absense of the electrical contacts really isn't a big deal in that sense. As for metering, no contacts means no metering (at least on my camera) but that doesn't mean it can't be used. I shoot with older manual focus lenses on a regular basis & non of them will meter with my Nikon D70s. If you look at my galleries, most of the photos were taken with the older lenses. I used "Sunny 16" to get in the ballpark & then the LCD & Histogram to fine tune my exposure. A little bit more work, but perfectly usable & no problems with macro shooting...

edit,
My shots are almost all handheld, no tripod, but I use flash for supplemental light allowing me to use faster shutter speeds & smaller apertures...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #90749 by mj~shutterbugg
Gotcha. I am thinking trying the all manual ones, the focus doesn't bother me as I am also breaking in the new legs. The loss of metering does bother me though. I still rely on my light meter in camera to help me get in range before I start to tweak. Maybe use the light meter add the tubes and play around? Flash is also on my learning schedule so that doesn't bother me as well. Since my main macro is floral and not insects my subject is more patient shall I say :lol:

Thanks everyone for the help!

www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #90751 by steveheap
MJ

I had exactly the same requirement as you. I wanted to take some macro images, but didnt think I had a need for a full macro lens. I bought the Kenko tubes from Amazon. They come in a set of three so you can add the one that you need (or all three for really close work). I decided that they work best with my 70-200 lens, and with the macro tubes on, you can focus pretty easily with the zoom ring. The long lens means you are further from the object as well, so you don't block the light with your lens. I don't want to make a habit of this on this forum, but I did a Blog post about macro photography not too long ago!

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #90803 by mj~shutterbugg
Steve-
do you feel they were worth the cost? I was under the impression tubes were inexpensive and money is tight here. I have a macro lens but I want to boost it's abilities. I wonder if the Zeikos would work just as well?

MJ

www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #90831 by TheNissanMan
I wouldn't worry about AF tubes, I recently bought a set of the latest Kenko AF Tubes and unless I'm using the smaller of the tubes AF on the 50mm is useless and have switched to using manual.

Generally speaking from my plays with them AF is not really an issue as your focusing so closely on the item that the smallest movements will bring the subject in and out of focus anyway. Fun when your trying to shoot close ups of flowers in a breeze lol...

12 years 10 months ago #90841 by steveheap
A bit that I haven't investigated is whether you need the electronic connections in the tubes to make the aperture close down? I understand about the focus, and I agree that I almost always focus manually (using the zoom ring in my case), but I am focusing at full aperture and then it closes down to take the shot. Do the cheaper tubes do that?

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #91119 by dang
Hi Mj,
Definitely stay with an auto-set of tubes, Steve gets 10 points :) ...

While the manual tubes will allow metering in some settings with a Canon, they will not stop down the aperture. This means you'll be forced to shoot wide-open when using an auto-lens, so can't control depth of field.

If using tubes with a macro lens, you'll probably get by fine with the less expensive auto-set. However, if you can go the extra, the Kenko have a better build, but it's your call. I've used both, and had little problem with less expensive plastic sets made by similar companies such as Opteka.

Here's a little more info that will help you determine the additional magnification you'll gain from tubes, I hope you find it helpful. The example shots are shown using a 50mm macro with tubes.
Mouse click to enlarge:

Lastly (if using a 100mm macro lens), (budget thinking...) it's also possible to use a tele-converter with your macro lens. Unlike tubes, they do have glass elements, so you lose some quality. However, converters such as a Kenko allow infinity focusing when attached (The Canon Converter will not work with any macro lens though). Another advantage is the Kenko work with your longer lenses for birding too. It's all a matter of which you think you'll use most, ie: Converter, or tubes?
:cheers:

Insanity: doing the same thing over, and over again expecting different results. (Albert Einstein)
www.dangphoto.weebly.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024