Let's talk tubes

12 years 10 months ago #90571 by mj~shutterbugg
I see I can boost my macros capability by adding tubes. Explain this to me please. I am new to macro with anything besides a macro lens and would love to upgrade to the 100 Canon Macro but alas it's a pipe dream right now but adding some tubes would be in the budget. So what to I look for and what exactly do I have to do?

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #90577 by MLKstudios
If you go from infinity (far away) to the closest distance, the lens moves away from the camera. But, there is a limit to how far out the lens can go. Extension tubes extend that limit so you can focus closer.

They are nothing more than "holes" that hold the lens away from the body. You need those that match the mount of your camera is all.

Note, when used, you lose the ability to focus on infinity again, so they are only good in close range.

HTH :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #90589 by kyclover237
So, would an extension tube be useful for taking sports photography? My zoom is good but I can't afford the really expensive zoom lenses.

vintagecloverphoto.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #90593 by chasrich
Back in the day... Bellows were used for extreme macro. They still are I assume... They allow the lens to be moved out away from the camera on a set of rails. Tubes do the same thing only on a fixed basis and they are much cheaper. I have my tubes but have not played with them yet. I'm wondering if tubes can be used in conjunction with a reversing adapter... This is a rhetorical question really as I intend to experiment and find out on my own. I need to get my white coat from the cleaners. :woohoo: <- mad scientist!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #90595 by MLKstudios
Just the opposite, unless want to take a close up shot of the ball. What you need is more telephoto-ness. Unfortunately, you can either buy a "slow" zoom with a variable aperture at a reasonable price or a real expensive one with f/2.8 on each end.

One of the most expensive areas of photography (and some do it here) is bird and wildlife. Those lenses cost a small fortune.

HTH :)

Yes, you can stil buy a macro bellows for extreme close up work. I don't know of any that work on a setting other than manual though. Some extension tubes (the pricier ones) allow AF and other auto functions to work. They include all the electronic couplings.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #90599 by kyclover237
I may look into renting one for a game or two. My daughter is a senior and captain of the soccer team. I have a bid in to take the senior photos for posters. A better telephoto would be great for that

vintagecloverphoto.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #90601 by Screamin Scott

kyclover237 wrote: So, would an extension tube be useful for taking sports photography? My zoom is good but I can't afford the really expensive zoom lenses.

What would extend your reach would be a teleconverter, not extension tubes....With either, you lose light, how much depends on the tube. So with a slow lens, AF becomes a touch & go situation...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #90603 by Screamin Scott
Back on tubes, there are older manual focus 2X macro converters which combine a varaible extension tube with a 2X teleconverter. When used with a 50mm lens they can get to life size & also , they retain infinity focus (poor mans macro)...There are some limitations to using one ,depending on what camera you are using...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #90607 by MLKstudios
I had a student that wanted to shoot boxing in Vegas. He hooked up with guy who had a boxing website. The web guy got him plane tickets (from L.A.), a room to stay in and close in seats. He rented a 70-200mm and got some great shots with it.

:)

One he took from his "seat":

Eventually he got a press pass, and got this shot of Oscar (behind the scene):

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #90613 by mj~shutterbugg

Screamin Scott wrote: Back on tubes, there are older manual focus 2X macro converters which combine a varaible extension tube with a 2X teleconverter. When used with a 50mm lens they can get to life size & also , they retain infinity focus (poor mans macro)...There are some limitations to using one ,depending on what camera you are using...

I will be using the tubes with a 50mm Compact Macro on a 5d Mii. I found two sets on B&H. One set is $67 for 3 tubes and the other is $179 for the same mm 3 tubes. Then of course there are the Canon brand tubes. Help!

www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #90615 by MLKstudios
You need to post some links, but my guess is one set has the electronic "couplings" and the cheaper one doesn't (would require all manual control).

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #90627 by mj~shutterbugg

www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #90635 by MLKstudios
Yep...

"This DG Extension Tube Set has upgraded "Gate-Array IC" circuitry to work better with digital SLRs and some of the digital SLR lenses*."

Either will work, but one loses the "electronics" connected with the lens.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #90643 by Baydream

mj~shutterbugg wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: Back on tubes, there are older manual focus 2X macro converters which combine a varaible extension tube with a 2X teleconverter. When used with a 50mm lens they can get to life size & also , they retain infinity focus (poor mans macro)...There are some limitations to using one ,depending on what camera you are using...

I will be using the tubes with a 50mm Compact Macro on a 5d Mii. I found two sets on B&H. One set is $67 for 3 tubes and the other is $179 for the same mm 3 tubes. Then of course there are the Canon brand tubes. Help!

I bought the Zeikos ($67) tubes and they are working very well. The "issues" some folks raise are the connections and lighter construction. I have had neither problem.
I have tried them on my XT and XSi and with the kit lens, 50mm and 70-300. The experimentation is fun. I'm just learning. These are a few I taken so far. I'll get better with practice.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #90645 by Baydream

MLKstudios wrote: You need to post some links, but my guess is one set has the electronic "couplings" and the cheaper one doesn't (would require all manual control).

Matthew :)

Incorrect. See my post. The Zeikos are giving me full electronic function.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024