Lens: 200.0-400.0 mm f/4.0
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter speed: 1/640 sec
Captured: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 7:28am

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 months 1 week ago #760090 by Roger Lang
As if you are just there in front of the cat!  I'm sure you are a bit away, but what is the closest you have been to a lion?  I know I've seen shots of yours on the board with the cheetahs, which as I recall jump on your trucks.  What about lions?

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #760115 by Jim Photo

Roger Lang wrote: As if you are just there in front of the cat!  I'm sure you are a bit away, but what is the closest you have been to a lion?  I know I've seen shots of yours on the board with the cheetahs, which as I recall jump on your trucks.  What about lions?

He says in his post 400mm 

Exposure tours - :judge:    incredible 

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #760127 by bryanpereira

Roger Lang wrote: As if you are just there in front of the cat!  I'm sure you are a bit away, but what is the closest you have been to a lion?  I know I've seen shots of yours on the board with the cheetahs, which as I recall jump on your trucks.  What about lions?

Thanks. Lions dont use vehicles like some cheetah do to get a better view. Sometimes they walk right up to the vehicle though, requiring me to switch to a wide angle or standard lens

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON Z 5
Lens: VR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G
ISO: 400
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/1600 sec
Captured: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 10:18am

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 months 1 week ago #760129 by ThatNikonGuy
So cheetahs are more tolerant to humans than the lions?  I thought these cats are kind of the same size right?  Curious why cheetahs jump all over trucks and are close proximity, yet the lions not so??   

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #760130 by Shadowfixer1
Love your images and it may just be me, but it seems like they all have a green tint to them. If I pull them into Photoshop they still have a green tinge to them unless I adjust it just a little. Great images, even with the tint.
4 months 1 week ago #760131 by bryanpereira

ThatNikonGuy wrote: So cheetahs are more tolerant to humans than the lions?  I thought these cats are kind of the same size right?  Curious why cheetahs jump all over trucks and are close proximity, yet the lions not so??   

Very much more tolerant. All the Big Cats are very different in their behavior, hunting habits, pack mentality, etc. Also size, physique and strength vary. All unique.  There is only really one location where lions will climb tress or anything, they are more used to going onto mounds, hills etc. Cheetah are much lighter and more agile so if nothing else is available and they are comfortable (not all cheetahs are) they can jump onto a vehicle. It is rare though. Leopards will never do it, the are quite shy

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #760132 by bryanpereira

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Love your images and it may just be me, but it seems like they all have a green tint to them. If I pull them into Photoshop they still have a green tinge to them unless I adjust it just a little. Great images, even with the tint.

Thats very, very  interesting, They are shot RAW so should be flat, WB is auto. I might expect it on the same day/time but not across the board. I shoot a lot of interior stuff too which are all neutral for sure. This would only leave the lens to be the issue as i use the 200-400 solely for wildlife so maybe it just the coatings. That being said I use a 28-300 as well for some of the shot so Im not sure, Are you seeing a green shift on the RGB curve? is the monitor spyder calibrated? If so it might just be a characteristic of the long lens

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #760133 by Shadowfixer1
Yes, my monitor is calibrated and I do use the Spyder. Auto WB can be an issue when shooting golden light. Auto WB tries to correct the color to be correct and sees the image as too warm. That's why on sunsets, etc., I use Daylight WB most times so the camera doesn't correct the image from being too warm. I can post a corrected image if you like, otherwise I don't post revisions without approval. It may be just me but I have put off saying something for a while as I don't won't to offend anyone but these images are so good, I couldn't help myself.
4 months 1 week ago #760138 by ThatNikonGuy
Thank you for responding so quickly.  So will lions ever attack a cheetah or the other way?

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #760140 by bryanpereira

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Yes, my monitor is calibrated and I do use the Spyder. Auto WB can be an issue when shooting golden light. Auto WB tries to correct the color to be correct and sees the image as too warm. That's why on sunsets, etc., I use Daylight WB most times so the camera doesn't correct the image from being too warm. I can post a corrected image if you like, otherwise I don't post revisions without approval. It may be just me but I have put off saying something for a while as I don't won't to offend anyone but these images are so good, I couldn't help myself.

cool can you pm the file to me, I dont really want to encourage other users to download my files

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #760141 by bryanpereira

ThatNikonGuy wrote: Thank you for responding so quickly.  So will lions ever attack a cheetah or the other way?

The Big cats are very predatory as I think domestic ones are. A cheetah will almost always back down from a fight even if has a kill. Ive seen Lions chase both cheetah and leopards away, mostly cheetahs and leopards stay well clear as much as they can.

One of my encounters i had in 2007 was interesting and memorable, a leopard was stuck up a tree as 2 lions looked hungrily up from the base of the same tree

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #760146 by Street Shark
:judge:

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #760163 by Shadowfixer1

bryanpereira wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Yes, my monitor is calibrated and I do use the Spyder. Auto WB can be an issue when shooting golden light. Auto WB tries to correct the color to be correct and sees the image as too warm. That's why on sunsets, etc., I use Daylight WB most times so the camera doesn't correct the image from being too warm. I can post a corrected image if you like, otherwise I don't post revisions without approval. It may be just me but I have put off saying something for a while as I don't won't to offend anyone but these images are so good, I couldn't help myself.

cool can you pm the file to me, I dont really want to encourage other users to download my files

Don't think PM is available on this site. Doesn't matter. Let's just pretend I never said anything. Look forward to more of your posts.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024