PLaying with flash

9 years 7 months ago #80759 by mj~shutterbugg
I have a tough time lighting with flash. Making it look natural and not over blown is tough. So I purchased some flowers for trial with.

as always constructive crit welcome!

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #80839 by MLKstudios
In the other thread you asked for some Hard Hat CC. Hope you are ready. I'm going to talk to you as if you were my student...

What you have is fine. The technical is there -- focus, exposure, etc. But, what you've photographed has no YOU in them. We've all seen pretty flower pics 6 million times. Yes, they're pretty. That's all.

If you want to move to the next level in photography, you need to make your work more personal. The personal becomes the universal. It has to mean something to you to mean something to anyone else. Not just be a copy of pictures we've ALL seen before.

Mappelthorpe did flower pics, but his have "drama" to them. He looked at flowers in a different way. They have emotion.

It doesn't matter what you shoot, as long is it important enough to you to make a stellar image, not a Xeroxed one.

HTH,

Matthew :)

PS if all you wanted to know was did you light them well. The lighting is fine. Last one is a touch dark, but that kind of works for it.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

9 years 7 months ago #81029 by mj~shutterbugg
Matthew,
Thank you for your honesty. I knew these weren't my best and clearly that shows. I am having a very hard time injecting emotion into my work apparently. I took an extended shooting hiatus (like a decade :whistle: ) and I am currently trying to shoot daily or every other day. I guess my well for inspiration has run a bit dry. I kinda take what I see around me and go with it. Maybe I should be more selective in what I photograph? How do I inject me into them? I am having a very hard time with that. I would love to re-enroll in art school but have no money for that. I had to take a loan to buy new equipment and think I may have purchased a camera greater than my needs, heck who am I kidding, I KNOW I did and did that on purpose so I could grow into it.

I guess that's why I posted to help me grown both artistically and technically. Thanks for the advice and please keep it coming.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

9 years 7 months ago #81039 by MLKstudios

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

9 years 7 months ago #81041 by Nikonjan
Practice makes perfect they say. Several years ago when I posted some flowers on a site someone said, "everybody and their mother takes pictures of flowers" so I haven't done them as much. And you really have to do different things with them to stand out. Just trying different techniques. But as you are doing, working with flash is great with learning that and the results. Look at the whole picture then get closer and closer. A picture within a picture. Enjoy your photography, that's what it is about.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan

9 years 7 months ago #81059 by photobod
As far as flower photos go these are fine, a tad on the dullish side, if youve seen my style though you will know why say that, but you havent blown them out with the flash which is good because thats the main problem with flash, I assume you have used a diffuser.
I hear what Matthew is saying but Mapplethorpe is one of those photographers that shone way above the mainstream, but theres no harm in looking at his work and maybe aspiring to something similar and thats where you should go next, find photographers that are photographing subjects tyhat you are interested in, dont just copy them but look and learn, try to see how a subject has been lit, look at the background, look at the DoF etc etc.
Next get out there and practise.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #81061 by MLKstudios
You sometimes hit what you aim for. If you aim low, you'll most definitely get there. Aim high.

:)

Check out Lin Ann's work (a former student):

web.me.com/laanantha/Site/Welcome.html

Beware: the internet is full of mediocre photographers who aspire to be mediocre, all willing to help one another attain that goal.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

With these basic photography tips, you'll learn about four exciting ways to print your photos that will help you bring your images to life.

Jan 22, 2021

There are plenty of reasons why you should use a teleprompter, not the least of which is to have better eye contact with the camera.

Jan 21, 2021

Learn how to get more leads by optimizing your website and making it as user-friendly as possible. More leads equals more business, so this is an easy way to boost your bottom line.

Jan 19, 2021

Use these simple mobile photography tips to get better results whether you have an iPhone or an Android device.

Jan 19, 2021

Text messaging for business can help you in many ways, from keeping in touch with clients to sending invoices to get paid. Learn other benefits in this photography business guide.

Jan 18, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

Not everyone is comfortable in front of the camera, but with these portrait photography tips, you'll learn surefire ways to help models relax and have fun.

Jan 18, 2021

It's easy to be inspired in photography, but sometimes you need some photography exercises to regain that creativity. Learn a few creative photography ideas in this guide.

Jan 18, 2021