Printer Q&A

8 years 10 months ago #444634 by Ladyfreedom
We're thinking of getting a photo printer for home. I just printed some photos at Sam's and Costco; and while good, one was better than the other, and I wasn't happy; plus we would like instant printing once in a while.
We're debating between an Epson and a Canon. Maybe an Artisan 1430, Pro 100 or an IP 8720.
Can we get some feedback on what the hobbyists use/like, pros/cons please?

8 years 10 months ago #444642 by Shadowfixer1
I have the Canon Pro 100. I have found it to be an excellent printer. I use my prints for competition and a few sales. Epson and Canon both make very good printers. I have had 4 Epsons, 3 HPs and this is my first Canon. I can say the Canon has been the most trouble free of all the printers I have owned. The current rebates make it an excellent choice. It prints very good black and white if you have a need for that. Ink usage is on par with the Epson printers I have owned. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ladyfreedom
8 years 10 months ago #444814 by foxX
Is it really cost effective nowadays to print yourself? One would think these "photo" places with their many thousand dollar machines would have it down to a science.

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #444909 by garyrhook

foxX wrote: Is it really cost effective nowadays to print yourself? One would think these "photo" places with their many thousand dollar machines would have it down to a science.

I always enjoy when someone brings this up. :evil:

The only science involved is that devoted to separating a consumer from their money, with as minimal expense as possible. For the widest margins as possible.

Outlets such as Sam's/Costco/Walgreens/whatever use cheap paper (despite whatever name it may have on it) and low resolution printing (to save on ink). They're not about quality.

Places like Adorama and (shudder) Shutterfly do a better job, but I found them prone to errors. And still not impressed with the results.

When I became frustrated with the limited choices offered by labs such as WHCC, Pro DPI, and others (and they do a fine job, don't get me wrong) I looked at getting my own printer. Red River Paper has a document on actual ink cost (for inkjets) and using that, plus their paper prices, I figured that I could print on quality paper for about 1.5 - 2 cents per square inch. That means a 4x6 costs me about $0.45 to print (ink + paper).

But oh, the difference is so satisfying.

Printing your own is less expensive than pro labs, when you compare apples to apples in every aspect. Comparing quality to garbage is a specious argument.

I love, love, love my Epson 3880 and Red River papers. I also have an Artisan 710 that rocks; I use it for quick, small prints on Epson Premium paper (which gets my per-print cost down to the $0.30 range. Still far superior to Walgreens.

Long post; sorry.

Creating prints can be very rewarding, but it takes some work. You may decide you need a colorimeter to ensure that what you see on screen is what gets printed (more or less). You'll need to learn about paper profiles.

Or use someplace at least as good as AdoramaPix. (Sorry, Shutterfly has just gone down the tubes for me.)

It all comes down to where your bar is.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ladyfreedom
8 years 10 months ago #445161 by Don Fischer
I've never had a digital photo I didn't print myself. I bought my first digital camera, D70 Nikon, my first computer, HP Compact, and first printer, Epson 300, all at the same time. I've used Epson, HP and Canon printer's, Canon the best for me by far. Biggest mistake I made about getting a printer was waiting to long to get a 13" printer. Lot of people complain about the high cost of ink, hog wash. My 9000MKII Canon cost me less than a penny a sq inch for ink. Now I am trying some after market ink from Ink Farm and the stuff is way cheaper than Canon ink. I don't have a problem with Canon ink or HP or Epson either for that matter but the difference in price is terrific. Got two color cartridge's for my iP100 about $7 each. For the same cartridge's from Canon about $21! If this stuff work's out well in my iP100, I'll go to it in my 9000MKII also.

Understand though that I wouldn't call Canon, HP or Epson ink expensive by a long shot. I recently got some Red River Ultra Pro Satin, $22.65 per 50 sheet's. So for an 8x10 photo it cost me .80 cents for ink and just over .45 cents for paper! $1.25 for an 8x10 print. Cost me more than that to drive to the Cosco!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024