New to the forum

5 years 1 month ago #636448 by Iowa_Gent
Hi All 
I am new the forum I am getting into doing photography I want to do.   I use take photographs for a antique newspaper at auction on free lance fee.  But with everything being so crowded at antique auctions it soon became clear you just didn't have time to really work with the controls before someone stepped in front of you.  So I just set the camera on auto and worried more about getting the photographs in the manner that the paper wanted.  Then  had a lady hire me take pictures of her pure breed cocker spaniels  she was selling.  She insisted on different setting and poses. Being these were one year old pups  again you had a second to get the perfect picture for.  So again I turned the camera to auto.  

Well now I got time to be more artful in my photographs.   I am wanting to try a variety of style of photography but mainly will work on  wildlife, landscape and some macro.  I been studying my new camera all winter and getting use to each settings I need to use to get a better photograph. I got some chances to try some photographs and found I am learning more from my mistakes.  I hope to have some nice photographs to share on here.  I got a couple of a pigeon  one in flight and one perched on out county court house clock tower.   But I had the wrong lens I was just going to get some pictures of items on the town square.  So I didn't have my 300 zoom lens with me.  Lesson learned take any lens you think you might have a chance to use 

Tom

5 years 1 month ago #636459 by Sean Robertson
Hello Tom! It is nice to meet you! Welcome to the site! 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Iowa_Gent
5 years 1 month ago #636479 by Iowa_Gent

I got these two photographs  One is a pigeon in flight by court house clock tower and the other is one perched on finial  on the clock tower.  I made the mistake of just have a 135mm zoom and didn't have my 300mm zoom with me.   Plus I didn't have time to change much on the one flying.  

Tom

Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #636480 by Iowa_Gent

I got these two photographs  One is a pigeon in flight by court house clock tower and the other is one perched on finial  on the clock tower.  I made the mistake of just have a 135mm zoom and didn't have my 300mm zoom with me.   Plus I didn't have time to change much on the one flying.  

Tom

5 years 1 month ago #636895 by Kira Minori
That's fine. We learn from our mistake. Welcome!

5 years 1 month ago #636926 by Iowa_Gent
thank you I hope our weather improves so I can get out and take more photographs

5 years 1 month ago #637136 by Inez Villarin
Really good to meet you Tom!  You'll be in good hands and company here.  I've noticed in the last few months of being here that there is a lot of brilliant photographers here who when you need help, they step up. 

I'm Inez BTW . :)  

Photo Comments
5 years 4 weeks ago #637249 by Iowa_Gent
thank you Inez nice to meet you too.   I will probably have some questions as I go along. I need to have it warm up so I can get out more by our lakes and farms here to get some good wildlife and landscape shots.   Plus have some bees and insects to practice macro photography on.   I got a couple photographs in my yard  of the birds feeding.  But with the trees and houses it is hard to get one in flight since they are gone by the time you find them in the view finder.  But I am able to learn from my mistakes.  I know a number of wildlife photographers said they take 100s or photographs of birds and might have 1 or 2 they can use.  So I need to not be discourage when I miss a shot or one is ruined. 

But having some help here is a good thing to lean back on. 

Tom

5 years 4 weeks ago #637555 by Stephen Graham
Welcome to the site Tom! Nice to meet you!

5 years 4 weeks ago #637564 by Iowa_Gent
thank you Stephen  I hope to get out more taking photographs.   I hope to get out more and take some pictures. I got some of a pair of Canadian geese together. I had hoped to get a better picture but even with my 70-300mm zoom lens I can't get too close. I hope to save up for a Tamron 150-300mm lens I been reading good things about it.  I wish it  had a 2.8 aperture  but it like 4.5. I know to get a 2.8 I would have to give a lot more. 

Tom

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024